Wallas cookers

Able

Visit site
I am considering shelling out on a Wallas deisel hob and oven (gimballed) cost near £3000. Have readers experience of these cookers, are they reliable? No room for gas lockers, paraffin stoves not fail safe - deisel best option. Problem price.

<hr width=100% size=1>

robind

Visit site
I once had a Perkins (yes Perkins) diesel cooker. very solidly built. The jets blocked occasionally and periodically a 20 foot flame could be seen eminating from the side of my De Groot (Once frightened a man cutting his lawn so much so that he let his mower go and chased it into the river) I fortunately never had a plastic boat moor along side before I changed to a gas cooker and hob.
Rob

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rejuvanu.com>RejuVanu</A>

davidbains

Visit site
What boat do you have?
There must be room for a gas bottle somewhere.
YOu are contemplating spending ten times more for diesel.
How about a really nice RIB and outboard for the same money!?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Abigail

www.sailblogs.com
We live aboard, and we installed a Wallas deisel oven and hob in June/July. We did have some teething problems with the cooker and installation but the company who did it were v good and helpful and we got it sorted.

Now we love it - it cooks v well and reliably - partiuclarly things like roast fish or baking bread (definitely a liveaboard thing!) Good space warmer too.

We chose it when we had to replace the old gas oven because

(i) no gas on board
(ii) it released one of the only two sizeable cockpit lockers on Roaring Girl for use for safety gear such as grabbags, storm anchors etc (the other has spare diesel jerrycans in)
(iii) we thought it was beautiful

The bill is indeed staggering and (particularly during the teething troubles) we really questioned our sanity. But we went ahead and now we're pleased. I wouldn't bother if we weren't living aboard though.

people ask if it will be too hot in Med/Caribbean. It'll be a few years before we get there (Baltic first), and people we know living aboard in the med say they don't cook below in the heat anyway - they have a barbecue on the rail or something they can use in the cockpit.

We do have one of those snazzy flat butane camper stoves that were so popular at Beaulieu and Southampton this year as a back up, but we'd that with gas too.

Downsides - its extremely heavy so be careful wth the gimbals. Keep on eye on your deisel consumption, esp with an Eberspacher as well. It is a different machine to cook on and it takes quite a bit of getting used to - we are pushing Karunda to produce a proper cookbook but the men in the company don't quite understand what we mean.

If you can face shelling out that much and you liveaboard, we heartily recommend it.

<hr width=100% size=1>Sarah&Pip