VP122D constantly in fwd gear no matter what the sticks do

mil1194

www.myitmatters.com
Hi,
VP122D port side is always in gear no matter what position the controls are at either helm. All the controls at the helms seem to be fine - ie they engage neutral so you can apply throttle at neutral etc so I’m assuming it’s at the ‘other end’. Is there anything obvious to check before delving below and investigating? It’s a Fairline 50 fly but I don’t think that is relevant.
Cheers all,

@Moderator can you move this to the motor boat forum please

Last edited:

steve_l

Visit site
Hi,
VP122D port side is always in gear no matter what position the controls are at either helm. All the controls at the helms seem to be fine - ie they engage neutral so you can apply throttle at neutral etc so I’m assuming it’s at the ‘other end’. Is there anything obvious to check before delving below and investigating? It’s a Fairline 50 fly but I don’t think that is relevant.
Cheers all,
Maybe PBO forum would be a better place for this kind of enquiry...?

sap_2000

Visit site
VP122D port side is always in gear no matter what position the controls are at either helm.

First. Do you have mechanical or electronic controls?

Boat from that era (early 90´s) suggest mechanical with cables (that might have snapped), but some are retrofitted with electronic controls.

mil1194

www.myitmatters.com
First. Do you have mechanical or electronic controls?

Boat from that era (early 90´s) suggest mechanical with cables (that might have snapped), but some are retrofitted with electronic controls.

Thankfully everything is mechanical. I strongly suspect something at the gearbox end but some practical/real-life experience could be handy. I’m down on the boat for the moment so will be investigating myself as it can’t be TOO serious.

Elessar

Visit site
Thankfully everything is mechanical. I strongly suspect something at the gearbox end but some practical/real-life experience could be handy. I’m down on the boat for the moment so will be investigating myself as it can’t be TOO serious.
If the engine starts with it in gear it is likely a Bowden cable as the neutral switch is at the lever controls.
With engines off Move both foward and photograph the end of the cable at the gearbox end.
Put both in reverse and do the same.
Compare the photos. One engine will
have moved. Has the other? Note they are likely to do the opposite of each other as one gearbox will counterrotate.
That should help isolate the issue. Report back.

Bilgediver

Visit site
Somewhere between the two helms and the engines is a device that allows either location to take control. I would look for this and then observe e it when the controls are operated. No doubt it is hidden. Away behind the paneling.Compare the good ones action with ghe bad one

Rappey

Visit site
Check the engine end of where the gearshift cable connects. Could be something as simple as the cable clamp has come loose.

harvey38

Visit site
Get to the gearbox of the one stuck in gear, my guess is the cable has sheared inside the sheath, if it has, you should be able to move the gearbox selector between forward, neutral and reverse.

I had one, thankfully stuck in neutral, sheared whilst trying to moor up stern to in our marina.

Having since had that problem, I now always shut the engines down then restart them from whichever helm I am using. I often think what could have happened if one stuck in gear and for whatever reason, I could not shut down the offending engine🙈

Last edited:

Bandit

Visit site
Not knowing what gear box you have, my boxs are IRM 220A's on the top of the box is a quadrant driven by the bowden cable.

Twin station controls rely on a certain amount of resistance. Mid position is neutral and ahead or astern either side of it, to stop the clutch slipping and wearing. There is a ball bearing captive on the end of a spring that holds the quadrant in position neutral, ahead or astern by the ball bearing pushing/slotting into a recess hole. All very simple except if the spring and ball bearing are not clean greased and free of debris or rust when they won't lock in place or not engage and slip.

Inspect, if not in good condition clean and grease or replace each spring and ball bearing selector.

I had this and when I thought I was getting proper selection ahead - neutral - astern I was in fact stuck in ahead while berthing in a marina with a tidal flow on a spring tide. It was expensive.