VP AQAD41 User Manual

alt

Visit site
Hi all,
I've been searching online for a while but can't find it... anyone have the user manual for the AQAD41 (Coupled to duo-prop outdrive). Friend picked up a boat with these, and I need to find:

1) Coolant drains (found the one under heat exchanger)
2) Raw water drains - He was given these in a box so need to know where they go.

I thought that there might have been hoses (like on the KAD series), but alas, not there.

Many thanks.

oldgit

Visit site
Def one out there.Have downloaded it in distant past.
Will see if still have a copy and see if its got the interweb location printed on it.

From memory simple search did not locate it.

alt

Visit site
Thanks oldgit - I'm getting bits and pieces online, but no definitive user manual.

I'm almost sure it's an AQAD41 from pics posted here before - i'll take some more pics this afternoon and upload... just incase I do have the wrong engine (I'm not familiar with the older Volvos .... it's a 1990 Sealine 305)

alt

Visit site
Thanks guys,
I forgot to take a pic of the engine today.

I can't decipher whether the engines are TAMD41 or AQAD41

There's a 290 duo-prop out-drive (looks the same as was on my S23 (KAD32) and Cranchi Zaffiro 34 (KAD43), excelt that there's a locking mechanism / spring for locking for reverse (these were not on the KAD32 / KAD43 outdrives)

The heat exchanger is on the starboard side (as with all), with a metal heat expansion tank on top to the front of the heat exchanger.

There's a crankcase breather filter and the air filter is the circular type just to the starboard side of the crankcase breather filter.

According to another poster, from a different thread, they're actually TAMD41's!

vTJTqur.jpg

Mr Googler

Visit site
I think aqad means on an outdrive (aquadrive) and TAMD means shaft.

Found this on another thread

AQAD = Aquamatic after cooled marine diesel, ‘Aquamatic’ being old VP tong for an outdrive
AQD = Aquamatic marine diesel, ie non after cooled lower output
TAMD = Turbo after cooled marine diesel, same as an AQAD only inboard
TMD = see AQD
MD = non turbo, marine diesel
AD = later version of AQAD
KAD = like an AQAD only supercharged
KAMD = see TAMD, but add on the supercharger

Last edited:

CLB

Visit site
They are AQAD41 'B' to be precise.

The drives are probably AQ290DP. Your KADs would probably have had DP-E drives

alt

Visit site
Thank you all so much for the assistance, my friend will be chuffed that we can at least now ID the engine! (it was bought blind as a project).

I started hacking away at the years of DIY electrics today... stripping it back and starting from scratch. New batteries / battery switch / cabling (heavy duty side) / battery charger and some other small items being done tomorrow. While I like to tackle my own engines, we'll let our mechanic friend get greasy with the engines.

For a bit of fun, look what I found behind the 12v distribution panel... I presume that was the main feed coming up from the battery (+) isolator....
XaYk0WQ.jpg

(PS. That's a 20A fuse.... to power the whole 12v distribution panel on a 30ft flybridge!)

geodimis

Visit site
Hello everybody and thank to your community for accepting me.
As an owner of 2 AQAD41a I would like to ask you your opinion: both engines are abandoned on a boat since 2011. Recently I opened tap of recirculating water (not sea water) and all liquid was gone of course. Do you believe that liquid has cause corrosion damage internally to the engine in order to require rebuilt?

Menezes

Visit site
Hi all, I just bought a boat with one of these AQAD41A Volvo penta engine. Any know where the serial number is located? Thanks!!!