Voyage time calculation question (and a poll).

Guess length of time the circumnavigation will take ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
Planning a circumnavigation of St.Kitts (St. Christopher) on Saturday :

IE
e0fc3821-c451-4401-a722-2daaf9a7976d.jpeg
Yacht is a Corsair F-27 trimaran.
It is fairly swift, speeds around 15mph have been achieved in the six short sails we have been on so far.
2985fe9f-8594-4fab-a792-007cf9783151.jpeg
Distance is +/-55 miles, rounded off to allow for the up channel leg.
Wind direction is a constant 13 knots (15 mph) from East, with some gusting to 16 knots (18.4 mph)
There will be some wind shadow (+/- 6 miles) in the lee of the 3,000 foot mountain.
Seas anticipated at +/-1.1 metres with +/-8 seconds between peaks.
NE side of island is exposed to Atlantic (wind and waves heading a Westerly direction) while the SW side is 'sheltered' and a bit calmer.
There naturally being a circumnavigation will be some sailing to leeward, a fair bit of beam sailing, and some to windward.
No motor sailing anticipated.

1684425678792.png

Surely it is not as simple as 55.0 miles / 10.35mph (Trimaran may likely average least 9 knots (10.35mph) or more)= +/- 5.31 hours. 🤔

How do you calculate the length of time to complete the proposed voyage?

See Poll and state how long do you guesstimate it will take (to nearest 1/2 hour)?

Last edited:

newtothis

Visit site
45.8 nautical miles/9 knots (what is this mph nonsense?) = 5.1 hours = 5 hours and six minutes. Give or take.

SaltIre

Visit site
I voted for over 8 hours, because I fear the voyage won't be completed.
The proposed route shows the vessel will make landfall by running aground between Sandy Point & Palmetto Bay, somewhere near Half Way Tree - or perhaps Bloody Point. I urge that the skipper reconsider the passage plan.

KevinV

Visit site
I'd be going wider round poisson (?) point - shoal+Atlantic swell+waves= very uncomfortable, and reefs are often woefully badly charted

That, plus staying further out of the lee will add a few miles but benefit boat speed. I'll go with 5.5-6 hours.

SaltIre

Visit site
I'd be going wider round poisson (?) point - shoal+Atlantic swell+waves= very uncomfortable, and reefs are often woefully badly charted

That, plus staying further out of the lee will add a few miles but benefit boat speed. I'll go with 5.5-6 hours.
Indeed. They've already named a Beach Bar & Grill in honour of Rummy's proposed voyage...:(
8b172ef3e4293b7285710e7b95365801

Blueboatman

Visit site
Now here’s a thought
Which way around trends more favourably?

Drift: I always forget come April 1st, but a clockwise round the isle-of-Wight race ‘ insider rumour’ would be a contender for a good wind up I believe, if done well..😊

Happy sailing D

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
Who cares ?
Actually I do. 😁

It doesn’t matter if anyone else doesn’t. 😎

The OP was made as an enquiry (see last two
sentences) and as a topic for discussion.

Everyone is welcome to join in.

BTW Welcome to the forum.
Looking forward to reading your posts. 🙂

Storm Free

Joined 29 Aug 2022
Last seen Yesterday at 16:14
Messages1

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
The best F27 time round the Isle of Wight is just over 5 1/2 hours. I’ve done it in 6 hours 48 mins. That’s less distance, and potentially less tacking. Watch out for the gusts on the downwind legs. Bear off in the gusts, head up in the lulls when sailing downwind in gusty conditions. 20kn of wind is a lot on a beam reach on your boat. Good luck, sail safe.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
F27s are fast, strong and capable boats. My 20kn comment is more about multihull safety and the time to consider reefing than anything else. In 20kn of wind, on a beam reach, he’ll be doing about 17kn, with 32kn apparent wind. Sheet easing time, a few rolls on the main unless experienced. If you’ve reefed at the right time on a F27, you barely slow down, it’s just more controlled, less edgy. I had full sail on ours rounding Bembridge into the solent on our RTI race effort, and ploughed a float right under, hardening up. Scary stuff, though in fact the boat slowed, the rig stalled, out popped the float and we were off again. This is a feature of the design,