Vosper Thorny croft wave beta 3 stabilisers

vas

Visit site
a pic of the stab assembly would be helpful as well as the stack of components where the high pressure hoses go and the cables on top of them.

Natural law

Visit site
Hi V

the truth is we are still trouble shooting this....
We have checked everything we can check to find faults, issues etc.

The penny sensors were removed by the guys 'servicing' the system. i use the term service in VERY loose terms as they never got it working. so fired them & my chief and i started from afresh..
1. complete flush of hydraulic system, inc replacing suspect pipes.
2. refurbished and tested all solenoids from control box - all working
3. a couple of wires had come loose from the Penny sensors so carefully resoldered
4. Have tried to place and calibrate Penny sensors when re-fitting (not sure how successful we have been).
5. carefully checked wiring from control box to penny sensors, found 1 wire broken and replaced (9 pin)
6. the watson gyro sensor has also been sent to watsons in the USA to check and recalibrate.
7. still trying to figure out what else we can do!?

vas

Visit site
curious, how did you "calibrate" the sensors (#4)? got any docs/info re what value they should be reporting when fins are parked in mid position fe?

where's the hydraulic pressure coming from, PTO from the engines, or pulleys/clutch/ext pump?
have you run them successfully?
can you send a pic of the hydraulic stack on top/next to the fin assembly?
there may be "override" buttons that you can press to get the oil move to each ram and effectively manually move the fin to either end.
is the boat in the water?

assuming all sort of works and manual override moves fins, I'd be v.worried re condition of the penny&jiles angle sensors... that is if signals from the controller do go to the valves on each fin assembly

V.

Natural law

Visit site
just getting more photos sent...

but in answer to your questions..
we calibrated as follows.
a. On VT control box on bridge selected mid comfort position and checked we had a corresponding electrical output (into) control board in engine room.
b. Then checked gyro was disconnected so as not to give any erroneous inputs to control board
c. physically centered stabiliser fins to neutral position
d. placed penny sensor into position on top of stab fin (under the cover of "Wave beta 3) and slowly rotated penny sensor so showed aligned on bridge control box. screwed into place.

vas

Visit site
getting into a meeting now, will try and digest what you've posted (it's quite different from what I have!) and come back to you.
So, it seems that it has a big motor running the stabs in "electric" mode, is that all, or is there an engine related mode? or am I missing something???