VOR yacht aground!!

andymcp

Visit site
There was a part of this thread earlier talking about numbers on watch at the time, and the availability of rest. I'll leave others to debate what is right/wrong according to the forum rules, but the watch systems on each boat are very relevant here since Vestas had just travelled through storms. Whatever their system, whether 4-on-4-off or a reduced watch based on skipper and navigator excluded, if you follow any of the earlier commentary from the race it's clear that no single watch can manage a gybe/tack or sail change. So any time one of those is required, the off watch get themselves on deck to help. So fatigue is a much greater issue as racing the boat takes precedence over getting a full 4/5/whatever hours of sleep. The regular VOR articles are littered with references to broken watches.

As a secondary point, I do think that not having raced is a very valid viewpoint to counter examples (not picking on a poster here, just the most recent example I can mention) of cruising round the UK with kids. If your aim is to get from A to B while beating only weather, then yes it's tiring but you can, broadly, set the sails and not tend every rope unless there's a major shift. You can use an autohelm. You can furl a sail without having to wake anyone. And in those inbetween times you can take a lot of care over every navigational nuance you would like, wander around the boat checking you're happy, make a brew to keep you perky. Racing, and in particular high level racing, takes a different mindset (which I have seen but am not in any way claiming to achieve). If you're awake, you're racing. If you're asleep you'll be woken should speed demand it because, well, you're racing. And you don't care because you want to race. If you're miffed about something it's probably because you're slower than boat B, rather than because you didn't get a full 8 hours and a full English to wake you. These boats and crew sign up to be fastest, limiting even the number of days food they carry, happy to be hungry rather than heavy. You may not like it, you may not approve of it, you may not wish to ever be part of it, but that's what the race demands if you want to win and the approach, mentality and experience demands exactly that commitment. It is as unlike general cruising as is possible while still having sails and a floaty thing involved. That's not to say seamanship doesn't have its place, and any failures can be examined under general seamanship requirements, but the environment for those mistakes to happen is fundamentally different.

alkira

Visit site
There was a part of this thread earlier talking about numbers on watch at the time, and the availability of rest. I'll leave others to debate what is right/wrong according to the forum rules, but the watch systems on each boat are very relevant here since Vestas had just travelled through storms. Whatever their system, whether 4-on-4-off or a reduced watch based on skipper and navigator excluded, if you follow any of the earlier commentary from the race it's clear that no single watch can manage a gybe/tack or sail change. So any time one of those is required, the off watch get themselves on deck to help. So fatigue is a much greater issue as racing the boat takes precedence over getting a full 4/5/whatever hours of sleep. The regular VOR articles are littered with references to broken watches.

As a secondary point, I do think that not having raced is a very valid viewpoint to counter examples (not picking on a poster here, just the most recent example I can mention) of cruising round the UK with kids. If your aim is to get from A to B while beating only weather, then yes it's tiring but you can, broadly, set the sails and not tend every rope unless there's a major shift. You can use an autohelm. You can furl a sail without having to wake anyone. And in those inbetween times you can take a lot of care over every navigational nuance you would like, wander around the boat checking you're happy, make a brew to keep you perky. Racing, and in particular high level racing, takes a different mindset (which I have seen but am not in any way claiming to achieve). If you're awake, you're racing. If you're asleep you'll be woken should speed demand it because, well, you're racing. And you don't care because you want to race. If you're miffed about something it's probably because you're slower than boat B, rather than because you didn't get a full 8 hours and a full English to wake you. These boats and crew sign up to be fastest, limiting even the number of days food they carry, happy to be hungry rather than heavy. You may not like it, you may not approve of it, you may not wish to ever be part of it, but that's what the race demands if you want to win and the approach, mentality and experience demands exactly that commitment. It is as unlike general cruising as is possible while still having sails and a floaty thing involved. That's not to say seamanship doesn't have its place, and any failures can be examined under general seamanship requirements, but the environment for those mistakes to happen is fundamentally different.

It doesn't matter whether you're cruising or racing the skipper has a responsibility to ensure the crew are fed /watered and navigated clear of other vessels and stationary hazards.......andymcp there's no sign of your sailing cv on your profile i assume you've made a few ocean passages short handed to be talking with knowledge

alkira

Visit site
sorry i've just read your previous threads andymcp and i realise you are a pottering punter.......get back to me with your opinions when you've sailed some oceans

fireball

Visit site
sorry i've just read your previous threads andymcp and i realise you are a pottering punter.......get back to me with your opinions when you've sailed some oceans

Well, why don't you contribute when you've actually done some racing rather than just blundering about taking your time?

Rude? As rude as you were.

The VOR guys aren't just sailing some oceans - they're racing - racing for victory - it's a different kettle of fish to making a passage.
Andy may not (or perhaps he has?) have sailed some oceans - I certainly haven't - but I have raced and sailed a few longer trips (long by my standards), it doesn't make our input or opinions any less valid than yours.

I don't think any of us are excusing the skipper or navigator for hitting the reef - we are just exploring the possible reasons for them being less attentive to the detailed navigating than they should've been.

We've already heard the navigator say that he'd been navigating around a storm, iirc there were some last minute course changes before departure from Cape Town and he didn't get a chance to fully examine the route and if I understand correctly, before turning in he'd looked at the charts and seen that predicted depths were between 50 and 80 meters.
Take out one of those three failures and he'd may have seen the reef and thought about missing it.
1) No storm - more time to examine the charts in detail
2) No course changes - he'd already prepared course outlines and investigated obstacles on route - a late change gave less time to do this for the new route.
3) 50-80m depth on the chart before he turned in - perhaps he was looking at the wrong chart, perhaps he was looking at the right chart but the wrong course sailed or perhaps the chart he looked at didn't have the depth detailed.

I've just remembered another comment - the guys on deck could've been sailing to best boat speed - perhaps that included a significant course change that wasn't communicated to the navigator (had a course change been noticed?) thus the boat wasn't going where the navigator had expected anyway.

alkira

Visit site
fireball- get back to me with your opinions once you've sailed some ocean passages .....you might have some idea of the point i am trying to make

racing or cruising the skipper has a basic responsibility to his crew to be fed/watered and to navigate around shipping and stationary hazards .......no ifs, buts, what ifs etc.

i have heard the excuse that they had sailed through 'storms' that day and were a bit tired .......I haven't checked the weather on the day of the grounding but were there really storms ?and if so why was the reef on which they were grounded only washed by a swell of about 0.5 m high !! I think 'storms' might just have been squalls commonly encountered on Indian Ocean passages at that latitude ..........

Last edited:

flaming

Visit site
fireball- get back to me with your opinions once you've sailed some ocean passages .....you might have some idea of the point i am trying to make

racing or cruising the skipper has a basic responsibility to his crew to be fed/watered and to navigate around shipping and stationary hazards .......no ifs, buts, what ifs etc.

i have heard the excuse that they had sailed through 'storms' that day and were a bit tired .......I haven't checked the weather on the day of the grounding but were there really storms ?and if so why was the reef on which they were grounded only washed by a swell of about 0.5 m high !! I think 'storms' might just have been squalls commonly encountered on Indian Ocean passages at that latitude ..........

I haven't sailed any Ocean passages. So what follows is probably rubbish.

The reef they hit was in an area that before the start of the leg had been placed "out of bounds" by the race organizers.
This area was "opened up" to the yachts about 48 hours before the crash in order to allow them to avoid the worst of a Tropical storm.
The day before they had indeed skirted the Tropical storm, and had sustained winds of 35kts for most of that time.
35 knot winds in a Volvo 65 is pretty tiring, especially when you're racing in a fleet of 7 identical boats.

So - contributory factors?
1. The Nav had not done a pre-departure check of this area, as he had no reason to expect he was going to go there.
2. Finding the best path around the tropical storm would have been his main focus for the preceding 48 hours.
3. Once round it they were into a fairly stable wind pattern and expecting to sail a broadly straight line north for quite some time - going to feel to the Nav like the pressure is off for a bit.
4. The Nav checks the route but misses the reef, retires to his bunk.

So fatigue...? Maybe... Would he have zoomed in further if he'd been better rested? Should the skipper have checked the chart himself?

Possibly, but then should the skipper also stand behind the helm and check the guy driving? Or check the knot the bowman just tied? Or... At some point you have to delegate and trust others to do their jobs. Where race boats differ from Cruising boats is that in 99% of cruising boats the skipper is the navigator. Not so on these boats.

fireball

Visit site
Oh yawn yawn yawn ....

How many ocean passages do I have to have sailed? and in what capacity? Does it have to be done on a sailing boat or can I go on a cruise ship?

Go and race - you might have some insight into what we're talking about ...

alkira

Visit site
fireball - your profile has no mention of you having sailed at all ...........to be of any relevance on a forum we need to know your sailing experience so we know what your frame of reference is .......you could be a window cleaner from High Wycombe with a ship in a bottle on your mantle piece for all we know

bbg

Visit site
It doesn't matter whether you're cruising or racing the skipper has a responsibility to ensure the crew are fed /watered and navigated clear of other vessels and stationary hazards.......andymcp there's no sign of your sailing cv on your profile i assume you've made a few ocean passages short handed to be talking with knowledge

I don't think anyone on here is suggesting the skipper did not have responsibility. He took responsibility.

What andymcp pointed out - correctly in my view is this:

That's not to say seamanship doesn't have its place, and any failures can be examined under general seamanship requirements, but the environment for those mistakes to happen is fundamentally different.

Are you suggesting he is wrong and the environment on a VOR boat is the same as any other boat? I assume you've done a few VOR races to be talking with knowledge.

pmagowan

sites.google.com
fireball - your profile has no mention of you having sailed at all ...........to be of any relevance on a forum we need to know your sailing experience so we know what your frame of reference is .......you could be a window cleaner from High Wycombe with a ship in a bottle on your mantle piece for all we know
And have a valid opinion nevertheless!

fireball

Visit site

"we" ... who are you ... the Queen?!

No - I don't have a ship in a bottle on my mantle piece.

doug748

Visit site
fireball- get back to me with your opinions once you've sailed some ocean passages ..........

The worth of unsolicited personal testimonials is always limited on a public website.

In the case of this incident I don't think you have to be a racer or an ocean wanderer to read a key lesson. That is: Always be wary of zoom scales on electronic gadgets - if at all possible squint at a paper chart.

That is my two-pennyworth.

pyrojames

transat2013.blogspot.co.uk
I haven't sailed any Ocean passages. So what follows is probably rubbish.
So - contributory factors?
1. The Nav had not done a pre-departure check of this area, as he had no reason to expect he was going to go there.
2. Finding the best path around the tropical storm would have been his main focus for the preceding 48 hours.
3. Once round it they were into a fairly stable wind pattern and expecting to sail a broadly straight line north for quite some time - going to feel to the Nav like the pressure is off for a bit.
4. The Nav checks the route but misses the reef, retires to his bunk.

I think number two might reflect part of the problem. The main focus should always be the safety of the boat and crew. While the storm was a major concern, making a safe course should remain utmost.

Seeing 50-80m on an ocean passage should ring alarm bells and some careful examination of the local area.

pmagowan

sites.google.com
Seeing 50-80m on an ocean passage should ring alarm bells and some careful examination of the local area.

That rather depends on the context although I suspect you are right. Some of the other points might offer some insight into why a more detailed analysis was not made. Bottom line is; humans make mistakes.

Resolution

Visit site
I think number two might reflect part of the problem. The main focus should always be the safety of the boat and crew. While the storm was a major concern, making a safe course should remain utmost.

Pyro
I don't think you are right in their main focus. Avoiding rocks or hazards is always a big factor, axiomatic priority if you like, but in a long-distance one design race like this I bet that 99.99% of the combined thinking of the tactician and navigator is VMG, VMG and VMG. Was the navigator also the tactician here? With a strong fast moving weather system there are massive pluses and minuses depending on how well you handle it. So my guess is that the nav in this case was spending more time studying the weather charts than the navigation charts, hence the surprising mistake of not spotting the bloody great reef. I still find it amazing that they seemed not to be aware of it, and harbour a suspicion that we have not heard the full story.
Peter

andymcp

Visit site
Someone got out of bed on the wrong side this morning. :)

Wouldn't life be dull if everyone was only allowed to comment on things they'd actually done? This would be one very quiet forum, that's for sure!

tudorsailor

zebahdy.blogspot.co.uk
So now 216 posts with very little mention of absence of lifejackets on the crew on deck and then the crew coming on deck. Are racers exempt the lifejacket at night advice/rule?

TudorSailor

Resolution

Visit site
So now 216 posts with very little mention of absence of lifejackets on the crew on deck and then the crew coming on deck. Are racers exempt the lifejacket at night advice/rule?

TudorSailor

We do need someone who has actually participated in a Volvo to tell us what it is really like sailing for weeks at 20 knots plus. I would bet that none of us on the thread so far has done so.