Volvo shaft seal

I own a 1983 Westerly Fulmar with aBukh 20 engine. I have owned this boat for 12 years and it still has the same volvo shaft seal fitted. I have recently visibly checked the seal and it appears as new. It does not leak and I have used a little grease in the seal since I have owned it. My question is, do I need to renew the shaft seal because of the time fitted and when the seal does deterioate does it leak gradually or is it likely to go with a bang!!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

johna

Visit site
I believe the Volvo recommendation is 5 years. Not sure if it can fail catastrophically ie by developing a circumferential split betwen stern tube fitting and the seal, never heard of one failing in this manner. Quite an effort needed to replace it. Sorry not much of an assurance for you.

<hr width=100% size=1>

pandroid

www.kissen.co.uk
Volvo recommend replacing it every five years. The yard I deal with in Denmark, who do a lot of Volvos, recommend replacing it every 10 years, or immediately if the engine has been out of alignment. There are stories of people leaving it a lot longer. It needs 5cc of the special blue grease every year. I've never heard of one failing.

<hr width=100% size=1>

pvb

Visit site
I've removed one of these, and I'd say the construction is such that it certainly wouldn't go with a bang, but would just start to seep progressively. If it's not leaking now, there wouldn't seem to be any urgency to replace it. If, in the next year or so, you happen to be doing anything with the propshaft which would make it a good time to change the seal, do it then. Remember that Volvo Penta are keen to sell parts, so they will of course recommend frequent renewal (strangely on an age basis, rather than hours run).

<hr width=100% size=1>

jerryat

Visit site
Hi Tarka1,

I have just changed my Volvo seal (on my Fulmar) after ecactly 20 years. it had never leaked the slightest drop of water, and was in excellent condition. Mind you, I regularly (once a year) put the recommended amount of grease into the seal, so it was well looked after.

I have only changed the unit because the shaft was out to fit a new cutless bearing etc as part of my major refit. I wouldn't dream of changing yours if it is performing well, but do make sure the greasing is carried out as recommended. As another poster says, the design is not one that can fail suddenly, so I'd relax.

Hope this helps

Jerry

<hr width=100% size=1>

asj1

Home: North Bucks, Boat: Suffolk Work :central Lon
Visit site
Jerry,
I also have a very similiar aged Fulmar which I have just purchased an dI know little about the boat's history, and was wondering about the Volvo seal -- from you say I don't think I need to worry too much. A couple of things though - how much did a new one cost? and the "special grease" is this easily obtainable from most chandlers?

Regards

<hr width=100% size=1>Andrew

maxi

Visit site
I assume that if you are using a grease based seal, that you have a stuffing gland fitted. My recent survey condemned the stuffing gland tube on the basis that it was over 5 years old, despite being in excellent condition.
The surveyor stated that the insurance companies would not be liable for the outcome of a gland failure if it was over 5 years old. Right or wrong ??

<hr width=100% size=1>

andy_wilson

Visit site
If the rubber is still quite pliable and hasn't been affected by chemicals, a bad engine vibration or bad mis-alignment it will be fine. The design doesn't lend itself to catastrophy unless physically damaged (including over tightening of clamps) or subject to fire.

Key to longlife is to introduce a slug of grease between the lips anually, make sure you 'burp' it after immersion to introduce water to the void, and take a look at it periodically.

Mine needed changing at about 11 years (plus over 4000 hrs on the engine) as it weeped a little bit more than I would have liked.

Correction, it was fine, they all drip a tiny bit under way, I was on a mission to trace and eliminate a worse leak. On inspection my seal had either had maintenance (as above) ignored, or had got some form of contamination in the seal, the shaft was very slightly waisted. As it was off, and a new Volvo seal unlikely to improve matters because of the shaft wear, I replaced it with an alternative oil filled seal that clamped around a different part of the shaft. Halyard I belive. This leaks no water but does leak about 200ml of ATF per year as I cannot get the pipe clamps to seal perfectly.

Anyway. Inspect your shaft (easily done out of the water, just release both clamps and slide the seal up the shaft out of the way).

Maintain as stated above and elswhere.

Widely acknowledged as on of the best shaft seals in the industry, a Volvo product that people rarely find cause to criticise!

Must be cheap too then!

<hr width=100% size=1>

jerryat

Visit site
Hi asj1,

I paid about £45.00 for mine BUT, that was around 6 years ago (we were then full time cruising and I wanted a spare aboard) so prices will be more now - perhaps £60.00ish?

I do not use any special grease, but standard Blakes Seacock grease. It is not cheap, but one small tub lasts about four years on my boat, and is used for a whole heap of different things, not just seacocks and the shaft seal. I use this because it does not emulsify in water or harden, as some of the so-called 'waterproof' greases do.

Hope this helps,

Cheers Jerry

<hr width=100% size=1>

computertech

Visit site
sorry maxi way out, the volvo seal is a rubber thingy with multiple lip seals built into it, in fact it is so simple that i am amazed that people still mess with other types of seals such as you are talking about
stu

<hr width=100% size=1>

pladda

Visit site
How do you introduce grease to this seal ??
Also, after having older boats with all types of seals that leak, I was amazed at this volvo seal, at one of the boat shows I saw one on the Volvo stand and asked to look at it, nothing to it, lots of lips !!
I bought my 89 boat two years ago, not a drip, god knows how old the seal is !
Great piece of kit, well worth £60.

<hr width=100% size=1>

pvb

Visit site
Greasing..

I think Volvo sell grease in little foil sachets - you snip the corner off, slide the corner under the edge of the seal, and squeeze the grease in.

<hr width=100% size=1>

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
We sold our '84 Konsort last year - with the original Volvo seal still in. To my knowledge, the new owner has not changed it.

Our present '86 Konsort Duo also has the original Volvo seal, and I have no intentions of changing it until it starts to leak.

The only thing I have ever done with it, is to squeeze some Volvo grease into the seal at the start of the season, and burp it when afloat. At the end of the season, at lay-up, I squeeze a bit more grease into it to keep it lubed over the winter.

<hr width=100% size=1>regards,
Philip

Mistral53

Visit site
Hi Jerry I have a leaking volvo seal on my Sunray 21, with a 25mm shaft. could you please explain how to put grease into the seal ,is this difficult and can it be done with the boat in the water? hope you can help thanks Davie.

S

Skyva_2

See above reply - buy a tube of grease from Volvo - about £2.50.
Put a small quantity of grease in a small plastic envelope, then cut off a corner with scissors.

Squeeze the seal to open it on the shaft and put the envelope into the gap, squeeze in the grease round the rim. Never tried it in the water, but it might work, certainly worth a try.

Good luck!