Volvo Penta water cooled exhaust lasts 22 months

mocruising

Visit site
In 2008 I purchased and fitted a new Volvo Penta water cooled exhaust. This comprises a length of rubber hose diam about 200 mm with a stainless steel fitting attached by a large jubilee clip at each end. The new one was to replace the original that had rotted out. The new one also rotted out but this time in less that two years. The supplier although surprised pointed out that the warranty was for 12 months. Has anyone else experienced such a problem. I do run the engine through with fresh water at the end of each season but don't use antifreeze (Through the raw water system) as the boat is stored ashore where it never freezes in the Med.

ALB

Visit site
Volvo Penta Exhaust

Which part actually rotted? Mine failed after 2.5 years when pin holes appeared in the rear "stainless" steel section. I had it replaced and wrote to Volvo asking for a refund. This was denied because it was not replaced by an official Volvo dealer. I understand this to be typical Volvo customer care.

david36

Visit site
Your experience is similar to mine although I have had three years from the last two examples. I have tried having another stainless plate welded into the original end plate from new and this slows down the problem but does not solve it for long as the lower end plate eventually corrodes through where it joins the exit pipe ie beyond the new plate. Another fine example of the rubbish that is branded Volvo! Anyway, what is another £300 odd from our pockets if it goes to such a xxxx bunch of people! (What is the shorthand symbol for irony in posts?)
Fair winds to all, unless you work for Volvo.

davidej

Visit site
It costs very little to start a Small Claims Court claim. You can do it on the internet from the comfort of your own home.

Even if you don't win ( and my guess is that they will pay up rather than face the aggravation), you will have the satisfaction of making your feelings known to them.

Obi

Visit site
Good point. twice Ive taken someone to the small claims court, both times I got an out of court settlement before hand. I think the summons back in the 90s in Manchester cost me about £30 +/- £5

We shouldnt always have to fight like this, but then when we are repeatedly taken advantage of, a line needs to be drawn. Just a shame it seems that line needs drawing everywhere around "the little man" these days.

M

Stemar

Visit site
Which part actually rotted? Mine failed after 2.5 years when pin holes appeared in the rear "stainless" steel section. I had it replaced and wrote to Volvo asking for a refund. This was denied because it was not replaced by an official Volvo dealer. I understand this to be typical Volvo customer care.

I understand that car manufacturers got a mauling in court when they tried to duck out of warranty claims because work hadn't been done by a dealer. This sounds exactly the same to me.

As others have said, the Small Claims Court is easy and economical to use. Add the cost of issuing the summons & your reasonable costs for pursuing the dispute to your claim.

Heckler

Visit site
It costs very little to start a Small Claims Court claim. You can do it on the internet from the comfort of your own home.

Even if you don't win ( and my guess is that they will pay up rather than face the aggravation), you will have the satisfaction of making your feelings known to them.
Ive done it twice now and won both times, the system does work
Stu

Tranona

Visit site
Ive done it twice now and won both times, the system does work
Stu

However, not a lot of use if you are in Corfu or Qatar - nor taking Volvo to court if you bought the product from a dealer......!

Does not excuse poor product or poor service - but the product does only have a 12 month guarantee and it is difficult to prove not fit for purpose if it lasted 22 months!

Mocruising - have you considered using an alternative. Halyard Marine make a range of GRP watertrap/silencers and Vetus have just introduced an in line tubular watertrap?silencers. Neither have corrosion problems and I shall look at using one of these if/when my Volvo unit fails.

Gypsy

www.tech-x.com.au
Mine too. Fitted to a D2-55, started to go with pinhole in the weld at the rear exit tube after about 3 yrs. I had it welded but the work weakened other areas (it was not a patch, just spreading the weld). It lasted for another year then spurted out another hole. As I didn't have access to a new unit I did a 'bodge fix' which seems to be good after 2 yrs.
The bodge is to clean the inside of the SS exit assy and fill all around the area where the exit tube is welded with 'epoxy putty'. The stuff that comes in a stick which you knead to activate and then can be used like modelling clay.
So far so good. It's worth a try.

MichaelNK

Visit site
Mine too is fitted to a D2-55 and has the exact same problem. I noticed salt water in the bilge after coming back to the marina. After looking everywhere I finally realized it was coming from the silencer. There are pinholes due to corrosion in the weld at both the entry and exit tubes after about 2 years. I am now looking to replace the silencer with a different brand. I will look into Haylard Marine and Vetus mentioned in a post above.

youen

Visit site
Had the same problem in 2010 I had to change a 6 years old Volvo corroded silencer on an Hallberg rassy 34 and after a year and a half the French Volvo dealer accept to change the new corroded one under warranty