Volvo Penta Oil Leak

rmason1

Visit site
I am leaking oil from underneath my Volvo 2003 engine. Does anybody know if there is a drain plug there as I can't get my hand underneath to feel. I seem to only lose the oil when the engine has been running under load for some time, indicating that it only leaks when the oil has thinned due to engine temp. Would a more viscous oil help? I am using 10/40 multigrade at the moment.
Thanks
Bob Mason

<hr width=100% size=1>

scottie

Visit site
there is not a drain plug on 2003 but there is a core plug at front of the sump
oil is more likely to come from a crankshaft seal or even the water pump
is oil clean or dirty if clean the it is from g/box or s drive

changing oil will make no difference

<hr width=100% size=1>

JamesS

Visit site
Is it from the engine of the gearbox?

(If its from the gearbox the leaked oil will be nice and clean - still I expect you know that).

We've got a 2003. I did a routine check of the gearbox oil a few weeks ago only to find it nearly empty with loads of clear oil lying beneath the engine.

Turned out that the larger of the 3 bolts (the one in the centre) that hold the gear change lever to the gearbox had fallen out. Luckily I found the bolt amonst the oil.

Although the thread in the gearbox doesn't go right through the casing, it does cause the whole mechanism to operate in a loose fashion and oil does drip out when engine is running.

Having time on my side, and having done the repair, I took the bolt out again and sure enough it started to leak again.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

<hr width=100% size=1>

MADFISH

Visit site
Check the area around the starting handle shaft. This seal is prone to leaking and is a bugger to fix. Well, its not worth fixing unless you do work to the bottom end.

<hr width=100% size=1>