Volvo penta md2020 questions.

Rappey

Visit site
Having bought a westerley chieftan project boat i have some questions about the engine. Its already been identified on here as a md2020 or 2030.
Need a replacement starter motor. The starter mounting holes look in the same place as one for a 2020, but the 2020 has 8 teeth, mine has 9 ?
The 2030 has 9 teeth but the mounting holes seem all wrong for my engine. My starter also looks longer than all the 2020 ones ive googled ?
I cant find any id marks on engine or starter.

Rappey

Visit site
How would the glow plugs work ? Its a proper volvo key panel. First click i presume lights up the key panel, the 2nd click would turn the engine over.
Can also turn the key back one click from key in/out position.

Ive had the engine running but not managed to get the key panel to work yet. Work in progress.

Rappey

Visit site
Ive found this wiring diagram for my instrument panel type, but just cant find the other part which shows where the wires from the connector plug go to ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240620_223539_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240620_223539_Samsung Internet.jpg
    333.4 KB · Views: 8

VicS

Visit site
Ive found this wiring diagram for my instrument panel type, but just cant find the other part which shows where the wires from the connector plug go to ?
The wiring diagrams are in the owners manuals for VP engines of that vintage.
If you have mislaid your manual you can downlod one from VP's website.
Manuals & Handbooks | Volvo Penta UK & Ireland
All you need to enter is the engine model number eg MD2030B.

Rappey

Visit site
That would have been very helpful but i can't find a serial number to enter and just searching md2020 is not enough to search.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
For your starter motor, try a local car alternator & starter motor repairer - found a good one in Ipswich when a friends VolvoPenta needed new starter - the VP price was over £500 - the repairer had a new one for approximately £125 !!!

peteK

Visit site
The 2020 and 2030 are a Perkins engine but are actually Japanese,the part number for the 2020 starter motor is M3T32589 which is a Mitsubishi make and is used on many Japanese cars.Just put the part number in to ebay or Parts4engines sell them,from memory the 2020 uses 0.8kw motor and the 2030 is 1.2kw.

johnalison

Visit site
How would the glow plugs work ? Its a proper volvo key panel. First click i presume lights up the key panel, the 2nd click would turn the engine over.
Can also turn the key back one click from key in/out position.

Ive had the engine running but not managed to get the key panel to work yet. Work in progress.
The first click, as you say, turns on the electrics. You then turn it gently further to a slight stop to light the glow plugs. The manual says hold for ten seconds but I find seven sufficient, and then turn further to start. When turning off you should turn it past the off position to allow restart.
I should add, only after ‘killing’ the engine with the stop pull.

VicS

Visit site
That would have been very helpful but i can't find a serial number to enter and just searching md2020 is not enough to search.
You do not need the Serial number. You only need to enter the model number ( eg MD2030 ) in to the product designation box and pick the appropriate model from the drop down list

However
1719012525311.png For the earliest (A series ) engines. with an isolated electrical system

1719012793916.png For B, C and D series engines

Last edited:

Rappey

Visit site
Wow at tillergirls engine. I wish mine looked like that !
Im making progress . Its a 2030 in a chieftan/centaur. Should go well !
Bought a new starter motor from ebay for £99. Should collect it this evening.
With all the help here and google im slowly getting to understand it all and figure it out.
I'm sure i we'll have more questions shortly

tillergirl

Visit site
It is NOT an engine. It is a sewing machine. Perkins heritage, smooth as a dream. Actually my dreams tend not to be smooth. No seriously, it is a very good engine. Photo taking at the time of installation. I had to sell TG 24 years later on account of arthritis and the engine was still smooth and started instantly. Over the years apart from new fluids and filters etc all I need one new set of glows. One service of the injectors wasn't expensive.