Volvo Penta MD 2030B Overhaul (any tips ?)

Sealong

Visit site
Hello, I have a 1998 Volvo Penta MD 2030B with a sail drive unit, installed on a Najad 331. The engine has become difficult to start. I have had the injectors and pump serviced and have also replaced the glow plugs and lift pump. The compression is low (220 lbs/sq.inch) and there is negligible blowby into the rocker box. So with the boat now in the boatyard, I intend to remove the engine and overhaul the top end. At the same time I will also replace the sail drive diaphragm, which was last done 11 years ago.

I am reasonably competent with mechanical work and have rebuilt numerous motorcycle engines and many many years ago overhauled large marine engines and generators. My plan is to disconnect the engine from the sail drive bring the engine forward into the salon, remove the cylinder head and take that home, where I can work on the valves, guides, seals etc. If the rings need replacing then I can do that with the cylinder block still on board.

I would be very grateful for any tips members may have on removing and overhauling such an engine.

Thanks in advance
Christopher

johnalison

Visit site
I can't help with the engineering but Volvo do comprehensive workshop manuals, which would be a good place to start if you don't already have one.

Tranona

Visit site
You will only find out if it is worth doing when you get the head off. With luck it will just be valves but the weakness of this engine is that the combustion chamber of the aft cylinder can come loose and display the symptoms you have. There can also be cracking around the valve seat in the same cylinder. A new head is over £2k.

Sorry if that sounds negative, but parts are so expensive and on a 25 year engine you are likely to find other things that need attention and it is worth considering replacing the whole unit with a new D1 30 with the latest (better) saildrive. Your engine has a reasonable value in running condition partly because the saildrive is no longer available and a replacement costs over £5k. Used 120 drives alone sell for between £1-1500. new engine is better all round and because it is virtually a direct replacement is no more work to fit than changing the diaphragm.

Worth thinking about.

Sealong

Visit site
You will only find out if it is worth doing when you get the head off. With luck it will just be valves but the weakness of this engine is that the combustion chamber of the aft cylinder can come loose and display the symptoms you have. There can also be cracking around the valve seat in the same cylinder. A new head is over £2k.

Sorry if that sounds negative, but parts are so expensive and on a 25 year engine you are likely to find other things that need attention and it is worth considering replacing the whole unit with a new D1 30 with the latest (better) saildrive. Your engine has a reasonable value in running condition partly because the saildrive is no longer available and a replacement costs over £5k. Used 120 drives alone sell for between £1-1500. new engine is better all round and because it is virtually a direct replacement is no more work to fit than changing the diaphragm.

Worth thinking about.
Tranona, thanks. My engine has done 2500 hours and having looked at some prices, I am beginning to agree that a new engine with saildrive unit could be a much better option than replacing the cylinder head, valves, seals, gaskets and a contingency for whatever else I may find that requires replacement. Looking at the CAD drawings that are available online, it also appears that the position of the engine mounts on the D1-30 is almost identical to the MD2030 and the overall crucial dimensions are very much the same. So I am indeed tempted. One question: in your opinion is the D1-30 an improved version of the MD2030 ?
Christopher

Never Grumble

Visit site
I did a top end refurb of my 2030 a year ago. My cylinder head was ok, but it’s worth removing that and checking if the pepper pot combustion chamber bit is still fixed. I got a local engineering firm to lap valves etc the charges were very reasonable.

I’m sure if you google you will find a practical boat owner magazine article on how to do a top end refurb. I noted the other week that parts for engines now sell new piston Sets for this engine, cylinder heads are generally difficult to get hold of though.

Tranona

Visit site
Tranona, thanks. My engine has done 2500 hours and having looked at some prices, I am beginning to agree that a new engine with saildrive unit could be a much better option than replacing the cylinder head, valves, seals, gaskets and a contingency for whatever else I may find that requires replacement. Looking at the CAD drawings that are available online, it also appears that the position of the engine mounts on the D1-30 is almost identical to the MD2030 and the overall crucial dimensions are very much the same. So I am indeed tempted. One question: in your opinion is the D1-30 an improved version of the MD2030 ?
Christopher
I have had both - a 2030 in a Bavaria 33 from new in 2001 which I used as a charter boat and did over 3500 hours in 10 years and was as good as new - still in the boat with a new owner having added another 1500 hours or so. However perfect conditions of use. Lots of continuous running and regular oil changes. Then a D1 30 in a 2015 Bav 33. Not really much difference except that the newer engine runs at lower revs so cruising is 2200 rather than 2400. Only did about 400 hours in 5 years with no issues at all. Best bits are bigger alternator and stronger saildrive - not that the 120 had problems on a 2030, but the anode is twice the size and much easier to change. You should be able to use the same propeller. I used a 16*11 2 blade Flexofold.

Talk to Falmouth Boat Services as they seemed to have the best deals when I was shopping for an engine for another boat a couple of years ago.

nevis768

Visit site
I had a blocked high riser exhaust on mine, not sure if you have the same, but it was £750 to replace. FBS services were very helpful and put me through to their engineer, very knowledgeable. ( Stainless aftermarket versions not available for a high riser) Can't help with anything else, but if the head is ok, might be worth a repair of the rest, depends how much time/money and confidence you have, and how much a new one is fitted. I found the manual online quite easily.