Volvo Penta Hydraulic tie-bar

PeterRowlands

Visit site
I have a SeaSport Pacific 3200 powercat with twin Volvo D4/260 engines and DPH outdrives and the steering is controlled via a Volvo hydraulic tie-bar. The boat was originally built in Seattle but is now in Plymouth, Devon. Is anyone familiar with how to set up the steering? The drives do not return to the same position when the wheel is turned to either port or starboard and then back to centre.

Any help or pointers would be much appreciated.
Best wishes
Peter Rowlands

spannerman

Visit site
Yes I have done this, you need the special bleeding adapter that Volvo workshops use. It connects to the shuttle valve on the inside of the transom between the engines that splits the hydraulic supply between the two drives, without this its impossible to get them parallel. But first you have to be sure you have no leaks on either the steering cylinders or hoses or it will creep and will go out of alignment.

PeterRowlands

Visit site
Yes I have done this, you need the special bleeding adapter that Volvo workshops use. It connects to the shuttle valve on the inside of the transom between the engines that splits the hydraulic supply between the two drives, without this its impossible to get them parallel. But first you have to be sure you have no leaks on either the steering cylinders or hoses or it will creep and will go out of alignment.
Hi Spannerman We are still having problems despite renewing all the steering rams and the valve block as well as using the Volvo bleed kit but the drives are still creeping considerably. My (Volve experienced) engineer is completely baffled and Volvo UK haven't been able to offer any suggestions. Any help would be appreciated or pointers as to who may have solved this problem in the past.

spannerman

Visit site
I spent many hours trying to fix this on a mates Princess, and when I finally got hold of the volvo bleed apparatus it bled out and the drives went parallel straight away and all was well. I can only surmise there is still air in the system somewhere. Its a tricky procedure as the plastic hoses on the bleed kit are very stiff and you have to have a constant rise on them so the air comes out.

andrew Hawksfield

Visit site
I have a SeaSport Pacific 3200 powercat with twin Volvo D4/260 engines and DPH outdrives and the steering is controlled via a Volvo hydraulic tie-bar. The boat was originally built in Seattle but is now in Plymouth, Devon. Is anyone familiar with how to set up the steering? The drives do not return to the same position when the wheel is turned to either port or starboard and then back to centre.

Any help or pointers would be much appreciated.
Best wishes
Peter Rowlands
Hello,

I know your issue was a few years ago but just wondering if it was ever sorted as I have the same issue on a commercial charter boat in north Devon.
Please advise?
Kind regards
Andy

andrew Hawksfield

Visit site
I spent many hours trying to fix this on a mates Princess, and when I finally got hold of the volvo bleed apparatus it bled out and the drives went parallel straight away and all was well. I can only surmise there is still air in the system somewhere. It’s a tricky procedure as the plastic hoses on the bleed kit are very stiff and you have to have a constant rise on them so the air comes out.
Hello,
I have the same issue, do you have and image or part number for the Volvo bleeding apparatus? Also do you have a procedure for bleeding the the hydraulic tie bar?
Kind regards
Andy

spannerman

Visit site
Sorry I don’t have the part number and it wouldn’tbe cheap as there are several hoses which connect to the hydraulic manifold on the transom between the engines.
The procedure is to connect everything up with the hoses rising to lead the air up out of the system, you bleed by filling at the helm pump and going lock to lock until all the air is out with the engine with the servo pump running as you have a low and high pressure system working in unison.

Andyroonot

Visit site
Hello,
I have the same issue, do you have and image or part number for the Volvo bleeding apparatus? Also do you have a procedure for bleeding the the hydraulic tie bar?
Kind regards
Andy
The Volvo p/n is 3588044

Install instructions for the hydraulic tie bar attached…

Attachments

• 7744592.pdf
    966.9 KB · Views: 14