Volvo penta DPH outdrive trim issue

jdrakeford

Visit site
Recently lifted my boat out the water, went to trim up the DPH drive to change oil and it doesnt work. Ignition was on but not sure why it's not working?
Is there something that inhibits the trim system working with boat out the water with engine (2006 VP D6) stopped. I guess I'm missing something obvious!
Thanks in advance!

Portofino

Visit site
Relays go .Cleaning the contact may help or switching them around .There are two , one up , one down .Try swopping them over if you can get them to fit back ??
I used to carry spares when I had my first and last VP outdrive boat .The motors aren’t super robust either went through a couple of those as well .
If the ram seals leak sea water can trace back to the pump impeller and make it stick as well .You should be able to eyeball the colour of the fluid in the reservoir to access the state of the fluid .

James L

Visit site
Check if the standard trim adjustment works.
When you press up or down do you hear the motor?
Do you have trim gauges, what are they reading.

Not to insult you, but just the first most obvious things to check, is the ignition switched on? Have you the beach button pressed?

julians

Visit site
Dph drive does not trim up or down by default if the engine isn't running. What's youre seeing is normal, all is working as expected.

Earlier drives could be trimmed with the engine off, but not the dph.

If you want to trim the drive with the engine stopped you need to press one of the buttons on the evc control panel to override the system, it might be the key symbol but can't remember. Have a look in the manual it tells you how to override the trim system

Edit:just checked the manual, you hold the n button down and then press the trim up or down while holding n down

Last edited:

jdrakeford

Visit site
Dph drive does not trim up or down by default if the engine isn't running. What's youre seeing is normal, all is working as expected.

Earlier drives could be trimmed with the engine off, but not the dph.

If you want to trim the drive with the engine stopped you need to press one of the buttons on the evc control panel to override the system, it might be the key symbol but can't remember. Have a look in the manual it tells you how to override the trim system

Edit:just checked the manual, you hold the n button down and then press the trim up or down while holding n down

Hi Julians, that's great many thanks for the reply, I didn't think there was a fault on the system, just I didn't know how to overide it with the engine stopped. I'm away from home just now but when I get back I will try it and report back:)

jdrakeford

Visit site
Relays go .Cleaning the contact may help or switching them around .There are two , one up , one down .Try swopping them over if you can get them to fit back ??
I used to carry spares when I had my first and last VP outdrive boat .The motors aren’t super robust either went through a couple of those as well .
If the ram seals leak sea water can trace back to the pump impeller and make it stick as well .You should be able to eyeball the colour of the fluid in the reservoir to access the state of the fluid .
Thank you for the feedback, I will check out when I'm back at the boat(y)

jdrakeford

Visit site
Check if the standard trim adjustment works.
When you press up or down do you hear the motor?
Do you have trim gauges, what are they reading.

Not to insult you, but just the first most obvious things to check, is the ignition switched on? Have you the beach button pressed?
Hi, thanks for the reply. I think Julians answer has probably solved my problem, I will check out when im back at the boat. For info the pump/motor wasn't running, trim gauge on but no change in trim! Looks like it's part of the logic as Julians suggests.