Volvo Penta DP-G pressure testing

frazion

Visit site
So after doing the shaft seals and gearshift seals (which were rusty as they come it turned out!) I've pressure tested and vacuum tested. pressure test holds 7-8 psi no problem, vacuum pulls 12.5inches and i cant get it higher, it then loses 1 inch over 3mins.

Now, im pretty sure that the new seals are holding, as is the dipstick and the vent screw (cant see any oil getting sucked in). i can't vouge for the drain plug where the vacuum pump is plugged in and i havent touched any of the other seals but there is clearly a small leak somewhere (my money at the moment is on the drain plug connector to the pump).

I guess the question to the experts is....is 12.5 to 11.5 still ok? or am i asking for trouble?

gery w

Visit site
Most common place for vaccum leaks is at the input shaft seal as it's only a single lip seal.

Lay it in such a way where you can pool some oil round the seal and try again

frazion

Visit site
Thanks,

I had the drive on it’s bum with its shaft in the air, oil pooled round both shaft seals and gear change seal. Nothing, not even a Jurassic park ripple.

gery w

Visit site
Thanks,

I had the drive on it’s bum with its shaft in the air, oil pooled round both shaft seals and gear change seal. Nothing, not even a Jurassic park ripple.
Turn it the other way and try the same process on the input shaft seal.