Volvo Penta D1-30 and 130s sail drive

DavidGrieves

www.wsandba.co.uk
Hi
Looking at fitting a new VP D1-30. I have an existing 130s sail drive fitted we hitch is only 10 years old and giving no problems

Has anybody done this and do they fit together with no modifications?

The new engine is listed in VPs brochure as having a 130s fitted, but need to know that Volvo haven’t changed anything.
The drive was serviced last winter and diaphragm changed.
Thanks

Tranona

Visit site
Yes, straight on. Nothing changed functionally although there have been minor changes to the fastenings of the lower unit. Your new engine will fit with the existing drive. Ratio is the same so same propeller if you are replacing an older D1 30,

However you may find you save money if you have a complete engine and drive package and sell the old one. A new drive on its own is £5k or so which means a used one has a high value in the replacement market, particularly as rebuilding is usually uneconomic. might be worth talking the Marine Enterprises to see if you can get a trade in deal for your old engine and drive - or a Volvo dealer such as FYB in Falmouth.

scottie

Visit site
its a false economy not to change complete package for the reasons given above
also with the various changes check propeller is correct size for new setup
its easy for us to spend your money but !

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
Old engine was a VP MD2030
Saildrive was replaced about 10 years ago so hoping to avoid changing it again.
Confusing to have 2 threads running at the same time on the same subject.

However a new D1 30 will fit direct onto your 130 drive, but would still check with the Volvo dealer in Greece whether it is worth retaining the existing drive as he may give you a bigger allowance for the old drive than the difference between a "bob tail" (engine without drive) price and a complete unit. You will also get a 5 year guarantee on the whole unit. little difference in installation cost as removing the old drive as it stands now only takes about 30 minutes.

Looks like it is in a Bavaria. I had a 2001 37 with a 2030 and replaced the drive with 130S just like yours. There were no modifications to the drive to fit the old engine.

Check the propeller as it should have been changed when the drive was changed as the reduction ratio is different - 2.47 for the 120 and 2.2 for the 130. The 2030 revs to 3600 and the D1 30 to 3200. The prop size should have been reduced in pitch because the shaft revs go up. If you have a standard fixed Volvo prop it will likely be 16" and for a D1 30/130S Bavaria fitted a 16*13 2 blade on my later 33.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
I swapped out the entire drivetrain on my last boat. Engine + Saildrive .... my MD2030 was swapped out against a D1-30 and it dropped in without any problem. It was a Bav36.

I would agree with the other posters who recommend a complete swap, engine + saildrive. The package is usually a good deal and selling the old engine and saildrive on E-Bay can also net a good return - works out at not far off the same price as engine only.

I also got a 5 year guarantee on the lot as it was installed by a VP certified installer.

... and it's very nice to have a completely new drivetrain. ;)

Slowtack

Visit site
In my experience VP give good discount on new engines and drives and propellers... whereas they are very expensive for replacement parts... So I would get as much new gear as possible included in the purchase deal...