Volvo Penta AD41A rebuild opinions

geodimis

Visit site
I am going to rebuild my one of two AD41A DP290 engines within next months due to major fault where caused engine stuck.

Is there ay recommendations for replacing any parts with later's versions (from B or P versions of AD41) in order to eliminate engine's disadvantages?

simonfraser

Visit site
Have you done something similar before ?
If you add some specific parts that you consider a disadvantage you will get a better response

geodimis

Visit site
Sorry for the misunderstanding, I meant that I will supervise it’s rebuilt. Only main disadvantage is the quantity of black smoke at cold start which I be read that was eliminated in B version of AD41.

dpb

Visit site
My wife used to hide away with embarrassment when I started up our AD41B's on a crisp cold day, due to the huge cloud of grey fog that engulfed the marina for the first few minutes.....quite normal I believe.

Fishtigua

Visit site
Make sure the parts are available before you start pulling engines apart. We had to wait almost 5 months for some last year.

geodimis

Visit site
Thank you for your suggestions and opinions.

Although some parts are officially “out of production” by volvo -my S/N's are before 220412- there are plenty after market solutions. Not intended for critical parts of course. Anyway time is not pushing, maybe this month we start taking out engines/gimbal/drives in order to leave space in the engine room for total stern floor/lid replace as its almost 30 years, not safe anymore..

About peripherals of both engines my costs fear is for aftercooler/turbo/oil cooler condition as the boat is left out there for almost 8 years.

Other minor works which I am still thinking of:

1)Detailed transom check for possible internal humidity
2)Cleaning / top coat engine room (possible afterwards I would like to apply soundproof material)
3) fan blowers installation according to Workshop manual (not present today)

and of course removal and inspection of inox fuel tanks.

oldgit

Visit site
The 41A could smoke a bit.
The 41B had a different cylinder head design and a couple of other tweeks. It should, all other things being in good condition, not smoke unduly on start up. A little smoke for a few minutes after cold start should be all unless a really high hours engine.
The 40A engines in a previous boat had 4000 + hours on the clock and still no undue smoke on start up.

geodimis

Visit site
Mine's are approximately 800h, the one rebuilt a few years ago. I remember my white dinghy boat turning.. "grey" very often!!

So ending up to have necessary parts replaced "as usual"..

robrennie

Visit site
Hi, when I had my 41A's rebuilt, the Engineer (Tony Nelson) replaced the hard pipe cooling system with flexible pipes.

The old hard pipe system was prone to leaking with the unreliable O Rings.

Had no issues with them since.

oldgit

Visit site
Hi, when I had my 41A's rebuilt, the Engineer (Tony Nelson) replaced the hard pipe cooling system with flexible pipes.

The old hard pipe system was prone to leaking with the unreliable O Rings.

Had no issues with them since.

Later " B" version also did not need / have anodes in the oil coolers.
Spent several mins trying to locate them :)
Recently took the end caps off my heat exchangers to inspect cores , "simple 20 min job" ,in the process removed several bits of old silicon sealer , presumably from previous owners attempts to seal copper water pipe joints.

Last edited: