Volvo Penta 2030B High rise exhaust--Can you clean them out after they are blocked?

Stemar

Visit site
If you're referring to the water injection elbow, I used brick cleaner on mine. Make sure the bit where the water goes into the exhaust is clear - I couldn't even see it on mine!.

Wear gloves and goggles. Brick cleaner can sting if you don't get it off your skin quickly, and a splash in the eye will do you no good at all!

nevis768

Visit site
Watch out many blocked exhaust elbow are not easy to clean, and if its the high-rise version you may want to renew with a suitable aftermarket version.
Quite a few threads on this subject eg:

Exhaust elbow
Thanks for all the replies, it is the High rise 2030B, and appears well blocked. I will look through the previous threads, thanks for all the info

nevis768

Visit site
To update, new high rise elbow for this engine was £750, no aftermarket or stainless cheaper options for this. I took off the old one and jammed a hosepipe down it to make sure it was completely blocked,and found it was. I ordered a new one from FYB who were very helpful, and the engineer gave me some good advice. I fitted the new one, plus gasket, after checking the heat exchanger wasn't the problem, and the engine worked perfectly
I suspect the old one had been unblocked before because the drain plugs had newish PTFE tape on the drain plugs. The engine has only done 1200 hours so reckon it well worthwhile. Also, I suspect this engine may not be the original, were 2030B's fitted to 1982 boats? It is not possible to speak to the previous owner.

VicS

Visit site
To update, new high rise elbow for this engine was £750, no aftermarket or stainless cheaper options for this. I took off the old one and jammed a hosepipe down it to make sure it was completely blocked,and found it was. I ordered a new one from FYB who were very helpful, and the engineer gave me some good advice. I fitted the new one, plus gasket, after checking the heat exchanger wasn't the problem, and the engine worked perfectly
I suspect the old one had been unblocked before because the drain plugs had newish PTFE tape on the drain plugs. The engine has only done 1200 hours so reckon it well worthwhile. Also, I suspect this engine may not be the original, were 2030B's fitted to 1982 boats? It is not possible to speak to the previous owner.
MD2030 manufactured '93 - '95. MD2030B '95 - '98

2003 and variants from '83

Before that MD11C, MD11D ?????

nevis768

Visit site
If anybody else needs to do this, it's easy, diagnosis of the problem less so, but simple elimination process.
MD2030 manufactured '93 - '95. MD2030B '95 - '98

2003 and variants from '83

Before that MD11C, MD11D ?????
Thanks for that Vic, what do you mean variants from 83? I take it because I have a 1982 boat, Mascot 28, that it has had a new engine after 95?