Volvo Penta 2003 crankshaft seal (rear)

Kylora

Tarbert Harbour, East Loch Tarbert, Loch Fyne, Sco
Visit site
Volvo Penta 2003, shaft drive.

The oil ( lip ) seal for the aft end of the crankshaft is set in the flywheel cover / casing rather than the block.
But
What prevents oil leaking from the face between the block and the casing?
I don't think that there is a gasket.

Also , what stops oil leaking from the aft end of the camshaft. I think that there might be an O-ring.

Any links to decent pictures?

This isn't my engine. I'm asking on behalf of a friend.

TIA, Ash

chewbacca

Visit site
You are correct about the o rings.The one for the crank itself sits in the rear casing surrounding the oil seal and the one for the camshaft sits in a groove on the block and seats against a machined face on the rear flywheel casing.

Kylora

Visit site
You are correct about the o rings.The one for the crank itself sits in the rear casing surrounding the oil seal and the one for the camshaft sits in a groove on the block and seats against a machined face on the rear flywheel casing.
Thanks for the info. That would make sense. I just wanted confirmation of the O ring around the crankshaft as I haven't found a photo/ drawing.

Ash

chewbacca

Visit site
The rear of the flywheel casing. The o ring sits on a machined face around the oil seal. Top right just partly showing on photo is the machined surface for the camshaft o ring to sit against. So large o ring seals off crank and little o ring seals off camshaft. Screenshot_20210922_125318.jpg

chewbacca

Visit site
The crankshaft surface doesnt look good. If in fact the o ring is missing then the leak is from there but it would be a big leak not a dribble. There is room to shift the oil seal within the casing so if the shaft is scored the oil seal can be moved If it has been dribbling after the rebuild and the o ring is there i would suspect the new oil seal unlikely to be the o rings. If you like more help/advice pm me. Regards

Kylora

Visit site
The crankshaft surface doesnt look good. If in fact the o ring is missing then the leak is from there but it would be a big leak not a dribble. There is room to shift the oil seal within the casing so if the shaft is scored the oil seal can be moved If it has been dribbling after the rebuild and the o ring is there i would suspect the new oil seal unlikely to be the o rings. If you like more help/advice pm me. Regards
Thanks again.
The oil leak was more than a dribble. I'm told that there wasn't any sign of oil inside the casing beside the flywheel.
There was no mention of an O ring, but mention was made of a recess in the block and the thought that something was missing.
My initial thought was that the oil seal should have been fitted to the block, but I then found a picture of the casing in the manual.
I think that a double lipped seal was used to overcome the mark on the crankshaft.
I'll pass on the information about the O ring and if I get confirmation about it's existence or not, then I'll report back.

Ash

vic008

Visit site
Sorry, didnt measure the orange o'ring. Dead easy to measure(held in place by one shoulder) The oilseal is 100-80-13. Wish now had slipped an speedi-sleeve on the shaft to cover the wear groove on the shaft
Plenty on here if dealing to the worn spline problem

Hanssss

Visit site
Hi,
I have a simular problem so reusing the post if thats ok.

When i run my VP2002 oil is splashing out of the flywheel inspection hole. I have been told i need te replace the crankshaft seal. However in this topic I see that there is also a camshaft o-ring. Do I need t replace both in my case? Or is the crankshaft seal enough?

kind regards,

Hanssss

Kylora

Visit site
Hi,
I have a simular problem so reusing the post if thats ok.

When i run my VP2002 oil is splashing out of the flywheel inspection hole. I have been told i need te replace the crankshaft seal. However in this topic I see that there is also a camshaft o-ring. Do I need t replace both in my case? Or is the crankshaft seal enough?

kind regards,

Hanssss
I'm no expert, which is why I asked the original question.
There is a fair amount of work involved, removal of gearbox, flywheel cover, flywheel, and the housing behind the flywheel to access the oil seal.
It would be sensible to renew the 2 orange O rings at the same time - one around the camshaft, and one around the crankshaft.
As mentioned by another poster, check the surface of the crankshaft where the lip of the oil seal runs.
Ash

chewbacca

Visit site
If youre doing the crank oil seal (100x80x13 R23 Viton) you would be as well doing the o rings at the same time, having said that I reused mine. Check that the crank is not scored or marked, if it is you can move the seal in the flywheel casing so as the oil seal bears on a different section. If the crank is badly pitted fit a speedi sleeve save yourself doing the job twice. It wont take much for a pitted shaft to weep. Picture of a speedi sleeve fittedIMG-20210804-WA0001.jpg