Volvo Ocean Race

claymore

Visit site
Well that certainly sounds like a whole bundle of laughs. Sleeping feet forward in survival suits so that if they do hit anything they won't get too badly hurt, racing along with everything up dodging growlers. Makes the sea we sailed into off Ardnamurchan last summer seem like a walk in the park, except it didn't seem so at the time.

claymore

Visit site
Certainly not this sort. I enjoy rock climbing, snow and ice climbing, going off on the boat, white water kayaking - never thought of myself as being low on adventurous spirit but that lot sounds like purgatory.

bedouin

Visit site
I think being totally crazy helps.

The accounts of the last couple of days have made fascinating reading - it sounds as if they've scared themselves a bit (but not enough to make them slow down).

tony_brighton

Visit site
Agreed. I bet when they get back they say it was a fantastic once in a life time challenge. But did they really enjoy it?
I guess I'm more of a cruiser man - like to end up at a pub of an evening.

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
Not my cup of tea either, and I like racing. Have followed the race on Eurosport and the episode from the Auckland stopover showed them all racing in dinghies for fun, it then went on to show the credentials of some of the folk whose names never get into the news and it reads: World Champions, Olympic Medalists, European Champions etc. So I think that the answer is that these folk are professionals who do it for the dosh and also the fun. I note that alot of them are Antibodeans. Interestingly they were saying on the news today about all the stress claims that were kicked out by the appeals court; Stress to one person is pure enjoyment to another!