Volvo Ocean Race

danfoley

www.ybw.com
Hi,

Yachting World is covering the Volvo Ocean Race with news, blogs from the teams and videos.

We've set up an interactive map dotted with markers which you can click on to watch videos and read news stories relating to that location. There's some great footage from the teams which gives a very special insight into life on board - go to our Volvo Ocean Race Interactive Map to see them.

NB - If you're on a Mac and using Firefox 3 you may experience problems so I'd suggest Safari for this, but all PC users will be fine.

stevebrassett

Visit site
I see that it is a proper round-the-world race - not just the normal "down the Altantic, round the cold bit at the bottom and back up the Atlantic". They're going north of Australia! Considerably north, as well.

Dipper

Visit site
I wouldn't want to be on board one of those cine projectors. I'm surprised they are still afloat. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Perry

Visit site
They are breaking records now, average speeds of 25knots in the dark in 7 metre waves must be great fun!!

From the Volvo site

" At 03:55 GMT, Ericsson 4 had sailed 565 miles over the past day, to break the record. But in the hours since, Grael and his crew have kept pushing and have been adding to the total. At 07:10 GMT, the number was up to 585 miles."

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
no offfence dan but i grew up reading the adventures of the whitbread raace
adc accutrac debenhams amd alll that
the last vor i followed
they were pure racing machines going at full pelt around the globe skippered navigated and crewed by the finest in their field
some boats and crew paid the ultimate price
as did previous crews in the whitbread years

whilst i apreciate global racing needs global sponshorship i feel the race is not what it was. stop overs based on purely commercial terms make it more of a a procession rather than a race.

i am sorry that the race that inspired me to become a sailor has become a sponsor's procession around the globe.

i take nothing away from the boats or those who sail them. but cannot see their voage inspiring sailors of the future as the previous tomes describing races of the past did.
i recently met the son of the cook on adc accutrac. that is role long since gone. but if you cannot maintain the method at least maintain the challenge.
keep the race around the world cape town to aukland and back to the noth

StephenSails

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
no offfence dan but i grew up reading the adventures of the whitbread raace
adc accutrac debenhams amd alll that
the last vor i followed
they were pure racing machines going at full pelt around the globe skippered navigated and crewed by the finest in their field
some boats and crew paid the ultimate price
as did previous crews in the whitbread years

whilst i apreciate global racing needs global sponshorship i feel the race is not what it was. stop overs based on purely commercial terms make it more of a a procession rather than a race.

i am sorry that the race that inspired me to become a sailor has become a sponsor's procession around the globe.

i take nothing away from the boats or those who sail them. but cannot see their voage inspiring sailors of the future as the previous tomes describing races of the past did.
i recently met the son of the cook on adc accutrac. that is role long since gone. but if you cannot maintain the method at least maintain the challenge.
keep the race around the world cape town to aukland and back to the noth

[/ QUOTE ]

This has summed up how I feel pretty well, it is even worse that the race does not start or finish or even visit the UK anymore! Someone sold out!

danfoley

www.ybw.com
No offence taken Sailbad, after all we're just reporting on it not organising it! It's sad that you feel the race has become so detached from its routes, but all major sports are money-making ventures now and that takes a toll on the spectacle, both for the competitors and the spectators.

StephenSails

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
No offence taken Sailbad, after all we're just reporting on it not organising it! It's sad that you feel the race has become so detached from its routes, but all major sports are money-making ventures now and that takes a toll on the spectacle, both for the competitors and the spectators.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you Dan, it is just a shame one or two media organisations do not report it that way, instead they sort of promote it to keep the advertisers happy.

bryantee

lefkas Greece (Summer)Cochin india(Winter)
Visit site
update from kochi.

the race is on> to repair the roads to willington island, to remove the garbage littering the sides of said roads. so visitors can move from ernakulam to willington and fort kochi. stray outside this corridor and its a different story.
the promoters are talking it up big.hotels are upping prices to accomodate the high worth visitors (press releases are quoting 10000 plus)
we will see