Volvo MD2030 sea water heat exchanger

TactilePaul

Visit site
Can anyone please explain the logic of this design and also whether it’s possible to install it the wrong way ?
Also , is it a known problem that the copper rods vibrate against the casting ?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 4066EFBE-44DF-400D-9C13-A5D3606EFE9D.jpeg
    4066EFBE-44DF-400D-9C13-A5D3606EFE9D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20

TactilePaul

Visit site
My guess is that it’s asymmetric so that the brass block doesn’t cover the division of the casting it sits in , and consequently it can go either way round
I hate it when things can go either way when they shouldn’t , bad design , or , failing that as an option ,a failure to add a final label / engraving stating which way ! In the absence of either of these I’m guessing it doesn’t matter.
Rods are damaged, casting also , last engineer had added a cable tie to hold them apart ! We kept that on !
I’m hoping new rubbers will help.

TactilePaul

Visit site
Just seen this , no doubt what it’s supposed to be in there ? ! Which would obviously have protection against the casting , what do I have ? 3rd party replacement?

Visit site
Just seen this , no doubt what it’s supposed to be in there ? ! Which would obviously have protection against the casting , what do I have ? 3rd party replacement?
I think what you have in your hand is the correct Volvo original part for a MD2030. It’s certainly the same as the one in my MD2030 and my engine was pretty much original. In fact, in the majority of places I was the first to break the lovely green paint. As far as I remember (it’s two years since I removed mine to clean it) they can go in either way. Worth noting on mine there was definite signs of dezincification. I’m dreading the price of a new one when the original eventually fails.

TactilePaul

Visit site
I think what you have in your hand is the correct Volvo original part for a MD2030. It’s certainly the same as the one in my MD2030 and my engine was pretty much original. In fact, in the majority of places I was the first to break the lovely green paint. As far as I remember (it’s two years since I removed mine to clean it) they can go in either way. Worth noting on mine there was definite signs of dezincification. I’m dreading the price of a new one when the original eventually fails.
The Volvo exploded diagram unhelpfully just shows a cylinder , like the ‘sheathed’ one but without the 2 holes showing . But we’re not sure if they just couldn’t draw all the tubes !
I feel like new rubbers would be a good idea to keep tubes from the casting, as they are all that keeps the 2 from meeting , well that and the cable tie in our case !
Thanks.

StevieH

Visit site
I have had two MD2030's and both had the same tube pack as yours. It is a while since I removed and cleaned the current one but from memory it fits either way round and the smaller hose clamp in the middle of each of the rubbers seal around the solid band each end which then effectively centres it within the casting.

VicS

Visit site
I think you will find that the design of the tube stack was changed at some point during the production of this engine range.

The enclosed type must be installed as shown in the workshop manual, with one of the bottom holes facing the HE outlet and the vent facing upwards.

TactilePaul

Visit site
I think you will find that the design of the tube stack was changed at some point during the production of this engine range.

The enclosed type must be installed as shown in the workshop manual, with one of the bottom holes facing the HE outlet and the vent facing upwards.
thanks, and I think we know why! interesting that such a radical change of design doesn't affect cooling ability.

TactilePaul

Visit site
I have had two MD2030's and both had the same tube pack as yours. It is a while since I removed and cleaned the current one but from memory it fits either way round and the smaller hose clamp in the middle of each of the rubbers seal around the solid band each end which then effectively centres it within the casting.
Thanks, this also seperates the 2 waters, if it were leaking, A. it wouldnt show, and B. it would mix the 2 !, so i did that one up pretty tight compared to the others as they would show if they were leaking. The only positive thing about this set up is that its a quick job to whip it out and inspect, so will be doing that regularly. Working on boats can be a massive pain, but being within arms length of fridge and sink and working lying on a bed is not so bad really !!