Volvo hourmeter (again?)

Megaboat

Visit site
I have had problems with the hours meter in Volvo tachos before but this presents differently.
Boat is a beneteau anteres 10.80 with twin engine and flybridge so there are 2 tachos per engine, both have an hour meter.

Hours display random digits on start up then gives up. Tacho works fine

The problem on the SB engine occurs on both tachos so I feel it is a problem upstream of the gauges. Port works fine.

Engines are KAMD44P EDC so not sure where the feed comes from

Any advice welcome!

A_8

Visit site
Its a problem with the hour counter display, they need to be replaced or you can get a new tachometer. This has been on here many times and you should be able to find the right post/answer using the search function.

oldgit

Visit site
Replacement display about £20.00 from Ebay or the interweb and exactly how to DIY on Youtube.
There are companies who will do the job around £60.00.
Its fiddly but the only thing you will need is good eyesight and/or decent specs and a bit of patience.

Megaboat

Visit site
Thanks guys for taking the time to reply. I am not sure it's the lcd display as both upper and lower gauges have stopped working at the same time. That's what's made me think it's more of a connection issue.

oldgit

Visit site
Thanks guys for taking the time to reply. I am not sure it's the lcd display as both upper and lower gauges have stopped working at the same time. That's what's made me think it's more of a connection issue.

Are both tachometers still working OK and indicating Revs ?
The hours data is permanently recorded on a chip on the PCB inside the tacho and is held there irrespective as to if the Hours LCD display works or not.
Both data and power for LCD is via a tiny ribbon cable inside each tachometer .
The LCDs are known to fail, have not heard of any problem of the connections between LCD and PCB ?
The only possible reason could be corrosion between the ribbon and where it slots into PCB , going to need to remove meter and dismantle to check ?

A_8

Visit site
If they show the revs and not the hours its the lcd display. If they don't show revs its likely a connection issue or something with the source. I think the feed is from the generator.