Volvo Flygmotor 041-D diesel heater problems

blockett

Visit site
My Sweden Yacht was fitted with a Volvo Flygmotor Type 041-d diesel heater from new in 1991. It has worked fine till this weekend when it ran for about 30secs before cutting out and repeating this twice before turning itself off. Anyone any ideas? I have no handbook for the heater. Anyone know where I can get one or find an agent? Its bloody freezing in Ireland at present!

Anthony

Visit site
maybe its just a rebranded Webasto or Eberspacher, in which case there is a wealth of info about for them?

Did it actually ignite or just try to ignite? If it ignited then maybe flame failure detection. If it didnt ignite check glowplug and that you have enough battery power.

Ants

MoodySabre

Visit site
I have an Ardic which is an 042-D model number so that sounds like a generic heater rebranded. I have a manual that I can send you if you PM me with your email address. Might give you some clues.

jbarsoe

Visit site
My Sweden Yacht was fitted with a Volvo Flygmotor Type 041-d diesel heater from new in 1991. It has worked fine till this weekend when it ran for about 30secs before cutting out and repeating this twice before turning itself off. Anyone any ideas? I have no handbook for the heater. Anyone know where I can get one or find an agent? Its bloody freezing in Ireland at present!

Hello .. I have the exact same problem with my Volvo 032-d.. Did you found out how to fix it..?? Like to hear from you John.

garthc

Visit site
Question re servicing a 041-d

Hi - curious if any of you have serviced your diesel heater. I have an Ardic 041-D which I am trusting is similar in design to the above mentioned units. I have taken it out of the boat and I am trying to take it apart to clean it. I can't figure out how to get the burner section out of the heater - my assumption is that the entire burner unit should pull out once the end cover is off.

Help.

Thanks,

Garth

nimbus29

Visit site
Hi I also have a 41D and have dismantled it a few times and it is fairly easy to do. To get the burner unit out you need to drill out 2 pop rivets in the outer case. These hold the case and burner unit together. Then you remove any retaining screws and remove end caps and it should all pull appart. There is no need to remove the 6 screws holding the main fan unit on the end. If it's not been appart before you will probably have to de-coke it, by using a powerfull blowtorch or dumping the stainless steel heat exchanger in a plastic bucket with caustic soda in it (quite a strong solution) and be very carefull as caustic soda is very bad to get on your skin or any organic material. I used a blowtorch and you wouldn't believe the amount of carbon that came out. Don't burn it near anybody as it smokes a lot as well. You can get spares from Espar in plymouth as they have quit a few in stock. I'm currently trying to source a glowplug as the element in mine broke and I bodged it up by twisting the wire together but it really needs re welding as it occasionally doesn't make good contact and it won't fire up.
Good luck and if you need any more help just ask.
Peter

nimbus29

Visit site
Thanks Garth for the info re glowplug. As I live in the u/k I have sourced on from Espar Marine @ £68 including tax and postage. I managed to do a permanent repair to my old one today by braze welding the element to the centre post and it is fine. I will ordewr a new one and keep the old one as a spare, as it's sods law that the next time my old one goes pop they will be unavailable. You can probably get one from a motor factor as long as the thread and element length are as the old one.