Volvo exhaust

inspirit

Visit site
I have a 6 year old Beneteau fitted with a Volvo engine and marine exhaust. The exhaust is made up of two stainless end caps with a large rubber flexible hose between. A small pinhole leak has occurred where the stainless exhaust outlet passes through the end cap. Just on one side of the weld there is corrosion and it appears to be worse on the outside. I've wire brushed all the corrosion products and cleaned the whole area. The outside of the stainless cap is heavily pitted while the inside surface shows no corrosion, just some small pinholes.

Also there appears to be corrosion underneath the rubber feed and outlet tubes but this looks different, just like its been etched by acid.

I'm suspicious this is electrolytic action and wondered if anyone has had the same experience. Also would connecting the stainless caps to an anode connection help prevent this happening again

<hr width=100% size=1>

nictbrown

Visit site
Hi Phil
I am not familiar with your engine, but have volvos on my motor boat and have just dealt with corrosion. My pipes are cast alluminium and one engine had corroded badly. Volvo do a repair kit - plastic sleeve sits over corroded end. But mine were too far gone and Mr Volvo suggested new pipes (lift out take out engine etc £1K plus). Dealt with problem by angle grinding off end, cleaning up, then new extended flexible pipe which was from local industrial pipe suppliers - large radiator hose. Dont know about galvanic action as mine is all well bonded. Dont know if any of this helps. Good luck and hope you get back soon to finish off the season.
Regards
Nic

<hr width=100% size=1>Regards Nic