volvo engine trouble

G

I have a Birchwood 22 circa 1977 with a volvo penta AQ115A, 2 litre, 4 cylinder petrol engine. When starting the engine I often rev. it to aprrox. 3-3500 RPM. with no problems but when underway if I try to increase the RPM. to >1800 it simply does not happen;it sounds as if the engine will stall and I have to pull the throttle back and then it runs qiute happily at a lower RPM. I am new to boats and am not sure what could be causing this and what I can do about it. The previous owner {7 years} I believe, maintained the boat well but rarely ran the boat faster than 15-1600RPM. to "protect the engine" any advice would be appreciated.

G

Do you do your baoting on the river? Could be your prop.

Attachments

• 368.jpg
    368.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 0
G

will the boat drive throw it mite be a flat spot ,most boat have got spot there not happy with

G

can't seem to get it thru' this "spot", just does'nt go no matter how much I push the throttle

G

Have you checked to see if the prop is clean? ie free from marine growth, barnacles etc.

G

Alan Could your problem be fuel starvation,it takes a lot more fuel to run the engine under load than reving in neutral.

Good luck

G

Having run a Birchwood 27 with twin 2 litre BMW's, I know of your problems. Off load your engine should be capable of going much higher than 3500, typically 4500. If it does not then it sounds like one or more of the following.

1/ Partially blocked primary fuel filter- the cartrige type- situated between tank & engine. Replace-they are quite cheap-£4.

2/ Carbon cored ignition leads or the in-lead supressors- renew the lot. £15

3/ Spark plugs- renew the lot-£12

4/ Renew distributor capacitor - and points £10

5/ Re-new air filters- ensure free airflow

6/ Re-set ignition timing with strobe- check advance as revs rise

If you get the revs off load higher, and everything else as above has been done, then the prop pitch, would be need to checked. I would guess for your boat it would be a 15 inch dia x 13 inch pitch. Then of course as everone else has pointed out- a clean hull and props.

Hope this helps

G

I presume this is a new boat for you? The best thing to do is to ask your engineer or speak to someone else who has a similar engine/leg configuration. The other question is of course, you have a planning hull?

G

Cheers, will try above, much appreciated {as are all replies so far}

G

I had the same boat as you and loved it. Also a similar problem and it took ages to find. The issue I found was one with the petrol tank and it was not getting enough air in through the tiny air inlets at the back. They are made of copper gauze and over time had corroded. It maybe worth checking these. Best of luck

G

i had the same problem on a cleopatra 23which is a similar boat with the same engine. its all down to having a to large prop. you have to remove the prop and find the sizeon it.check which model outdrive you have,because some outdrives are geared to run on displacement speeds for inland waterways. hope this helps

G

Hello, I had a similar problem but with AQ211's. I had the carbs re done still no good to cut a long story short try running with the hatch up ! mine turned out to be not enough air for the carbs to breath in hot weather.......