Volvo engine/saildrive isolation?

paul

Visit site
My MD22 Volvo engine and 120SE saildrive are electrically connected, according to my multimeter. Another friend with the same boat (2000 Moody 42) has the same experience. As I undersatnd it the engine and saildrive should be electrically isolated via a plastic gasket/ bolt sleeves and insulated washers. I can see no sign of any of these insulating parts on my engine and my local Volvo dealer can't see anything of the sort listed on their parts inventory for the MD22. Does anyone else have a similar experience or can throw any light on this? Thanks. Paul

VicS

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The engine is isolated from the saildrive by a solenoid on the neg connection

[/ QUOTE ] If the sail drive is bolted onto the engine with no insulating joint, sleeves and washers on the bolts it is not going to be isolated from the engine, solenoid or not!

I was looking at the workshop manual for a later engine earlier. In that case there are isolating gaskets washers sleeves etc also of course the drive inside must have an isolating joint in it as well (No point in isolating the casing if the innards aren't)

I might be wrong but I think perhaps the old md22 and sail drive are not isolated but later engine/saildrive combinations are.

PeterGibbs

Visit site
I know there is confusion on this point. I asked on the Volvo stand at the SIBS and was told the two halves must be isolated.

My MD22 and S drive were new to me in 1998, came with no isolation devices or flanges, and are still going strong with no abnormal drain on the prop anode or other wasting.

Is yours the same as mine? If so, there is hope for your rig yet!

PWG