VOLVO Engine Mount Life

G

I have had a VOLVO MD5A 7.5HP for the last 15 years but can only coax about 2 years out of the forward engine mountings.(The cylindrical rear mounts have only been changed once) What am I doing wrong? The engine is correctly aligned and runs very smoothly. The mounts seem to be neoprene so I recently fitted drip guards in case it was diesel contamination but this had no effect. I am very carefull to balance the load and not stress the mount on installation. I have tried fitting mounts from other suppliers but can not seem to get sufficient displacement for the single cylinder at low revs. I am currently spending more on engine mounts than fuel each season.Are the mounts just a badly designed? Anyone else had this problem or any ideas?

BarryH

Visit site
I have to change the mounts on my volvo AQ145 everother season. I think they are just made badly.All INMHO of course.

johnsomerhausen

Visit site
That one is really a puzzler... I have just changed the original (1978) rubber mounts on my 13 HP MD7A last year. The orignals were made by "Bushings, Inc." somewhere in the USA. I think they have a site on the Web which you could find with a good search engine. But no guarantee implied or given that it will solve your problem.
john (new york)

ECotter20

Visit site
I have had a VOLVO MD5A 7.5HP for the last 15 years but can only coax about 2 years out of the forward engine mountings.(The cylindrical rear mounts have only been changed once) What am I doing wrong? The engine is correctly aligned and runs very smoothly. The mounts seem to be neoprene so I recently fitted drip guards in case it was diesel contamination but this had no effect. I am very carefull to balance the load and not stress the mount on installation. I have tried fitting mounts from other suppliers but can not seem to get sufficient displacement for the single cylinder at low revs. I am currently spending more on engine mounts than fuel each season.Are the mounts just a badly designed? Anyone else had this problem or any ideas?

Hello,
Where did you get the mounts?
Currently looking to get engine mounts for my md5a

penfold

Visit site
The OP started this thread 19 years ago and isn't a forum participant any more; have you tried the usual VP parts suppliers like ASAP, Keypart, Volspec and Marine Parts Europe?
Hello,
Where did you get the mounts?
Currently looking to get engine mounts for my md5a