Volvo D4 charge air cooler end cover water leak

AllanG

Visit site
Whilst checking my Volvo D4 over the weekend, I noticed the charge air cooler (intercooler) has a VERY slight weep from the forward end cover, which is only enough to leave a small salt residue on the endplate joint.

I presume this end cover is sealed by an O-ring.......can anyone let me know part numbers of items I will need to renew the seal?

Can anyone send me an exploded drawing of the charge air cooler, showing all the separate parts?

Looking at access to the cover, (which isn't great) I presume you have to remove the two oil filters....is this correct? Any other advise regarding procedures will be most appreciated.

Also, is this a known problem on the Volvo D4?

Many thanks in advance.

Allan

pks1702

Visit site
You could PM forumite David2452 he had the same issue last year and carried out his own repair. or he might be along in a while.

spannerman

Visit site
Well known fault, there is a replacement cover available made in brass as the plastic one deforms and leaks. You need new O rings and the cover. about 1/2 hrs work, just spin off the filters for better access undo the four allen bolts and hose, swap the covers over, check the tubes are clear while you at it then refit the filters.
It has to be done as the leak will eventually take out the starter motor and if you are really unlucky the engine harness, which is engine out, we have had to do this lots of times as owners neglected to fix the leak.

Last edited:

David2452

Visit site
I can certainly say it’s a known problem to me but that’s a very small sample so somewhat irrelevant. There is a more robust end cover available, the plastic one is not too good.
There are 4 off O rings in the charge air cooler, VP ones are of course a mad price but I carefully measured mine and got some good quality ones from Budget Bearings at about 20% of the cost, I may still be able to find the size. Getting the thing off is a breeze but getting it apart can be another matter entirely and I had to use a block of wood and a big hammer to extract the tubes (as recommended in the manual) you also need the VP RTV silicone for reassembly. All in all not too bad a job but the whacking with a hammer is not for the feint hearted especially considering replacement cost. It seems that condensation causes a bit of corrosion inside and locks the tube stack into the housing, once I had cleaned the bore of the housing it reassembled very easily. I have a PDF of the manual which details the process very clearly if you care to PM me an email address.

aquatom

Visit site
There is no need to remove of disassemble the whole thing if it's just the fwd cover that is leaking. Also check the oil cooler rear end cap as this is also common.

jdrakeford

Visit site
I can certainly say it’s a known problem to me but that’s a very small sample so somewhat irrelevant. There is a more robust end cover available, the plastic one is not too good.
There are 4 off O rings in the charge air cooler, VP ones are of course a mad price but I carefully measured mine and got some good quality ones from Budget Bearings at about 20% of the cost, I may still be able to find the size. Getting the thing off is a breeze but getting it apart can be another matter entirely and I had to use a block of wood and a big hammer to extract the tubes (as recommended in the manual) you also need the VP RTV silicone for reassembly. All in all not too bad a job but the whacking with a hammer is not for the feint hearted especially considering replacement cost. It seems that condensation causes a bit of corrosion inside and locks the tube stack into the housing, once I had cleaned the bore of the housing it reassembled very easily. I have a PDF of the manual which details the process very clearly if you care to PM me an email address.
Hi,
I see this is an old post but I have the same problem with the d6 air cooler. Would you be kind enough to share a copy of your manual please & thanks?

Orthop

Visit site
Can you please tell me the part number of the end cover, which should be better than the plastic one? Or a drawing?

jdrakeford

Visit site
All parts lists are on the Marine parts europe site. The problem is that it doesn't say if it's a plastic or bronze end cover you get. I have just stripped both my aftercooler and heat exchanger and both have plastic end caps on the inlet/outlet ends. The other ends have bronze caps. Both plastic caps are distorted when i check them with a straight edge so this is likely the main reason for leakage. As far as i can see the way to go would be bronze caps....but where to get them?

vas

Visit site
:eek:
tbh, I missed the AUD so thought it was closer to 650quid! still if you need 2 it's a grand for something that you shouldn't be even considering changing in the first place (if it was designed properly...) just a few quid for a couple of o-rings (that's what I need)

vas

Visit site
it's 3D milling out of a big piece of bronze, not cheap (material and milling time AND designing the thing in 3D)
you could have it cut from a flat sheet, then do all the milling and fit plastic thru hull injections for the in/out pipes :eek:
not sure I'd like it, but should work out much cheaper...

Seastoke

Visit site
it's 3D milling out of a big piece of bronze, not cheap (material and milling time AND designing the thing in 3D)
you could have it cut from a flat sheet, then do all the milling and fit plastic thru hull injections for the in/out pipes :eek:
not sure I'd like it, but should work out much cheaper...
The edd caps are just flat I believe !,

Orthop

Visit site
Sorry, can anyone please tell me what cap is made of plastic and should be changed into metal on the D4 . Its the plastic cap of the charge air cooler. Should the cap pf the heat exchanger also be changed? Or is it the same part. Sorry I'm not perfectly conform with the english terms...