Volvo D3 220

Will04

Visit site
Saw a post from 2014 that pointed someone to VolvoPaul and Spannerman. Hope you are still here - but if anyone has seen this please let me know:
I have a 2019 SC with volvo D3 220hp diesel engines. In May I had a bearing spin on the stbd engine causing me to have to replace the long block. Has anyone had this happen to them? The unfortunate thing is my port engine went down a few weeks ago and the mechanic believes the same thing happened to the port engine. I have had the boat for 2 years and put 300 hours on it. I have taken really good care of the boat - serviced it 3 times. The engines only have 550 hours on them. Just wondering if this is a manufacturing defect and other people are having the same problems. Please let me know if this is you. Thanks

QBhoy

Visit site
Hi. I can’t say that I’ve spent too much time on these at all, other than a good friend having a pair of them (190hp) in his Sealine. Been about them for helping him winterised and service them, shortly doing the timing belts on them both too.
Despite this, can I ask more about the particular details ? What bearing had “spun” ? As in one of the main bearings or similar ? Although I’m aware of these things having the occasional issue around their software or control side of things…I can’t think I’ve known complete engine failure in this way, assuming all being well with maintenance upkeep and the fundamental things like oil level and coolant.
Most unusual with your situation, might certainly be around the odds against failure of both engines and in an identical manner.
Not to question the fella diagnosing things, but has he had some sort of visual or symptomatic indication, leading him/her to such a conclusion? Compression test figures or oil conditions indicating as much, by means of a very obvious and visual on bearing material present, or perhaps from a lab tested oil sample report ?
yeah, more details of you can please…any symptoms when she’s running or fault codes perhaps ?
I can only imagine a couple of things that could result in such a situation on that engine. Lack of oil or a turbo failure, resulting in debris finding it’s way into the oil and/or into the top end, via the aspiration side of things.

Andyroonot

Visit site
Saw a post from 2014 that pointed someone to VolvoPaul and Spannerman. Hope you are still here - but if anyone has seen this please let me know:
I have a 2019 SC with volvo D3 220hp diesel engines. In May I had a bearing spin on the stbd engine causing me to have to replace the long block. Has anyone had this happen to them? The unfortunate thing is my port engine went down a few weeks ago and the mechanic believes the same thing happened to the port engine. I have had the boat for 2 years and put 300 hours on it. I have taken really good care of the boat - serviced it 3 times. The engines only have 550 hours on them. Just wondering if this is a manufacturing defect and other people are having the same problems. Please let me know if this is you. Thanks
What is your engine serial number?

Will04

Visit site
@QBhoy and @Andyroonot - thanks for responses - Stbd engine (Serial #A933988) - my mechanic (volvo diesel certified) have pulled the engine and taken it apart - you can see where the bearing has spun on the #4 piston - I am sure i will get these names wrong - on the part of the piston that goes around the crankshaft. It spun and then both halves melted to each other. Don't know yet what the exact problem is on the port engine (Serial #A933991) because we haven't pulled the engine. I bought the boat with 247 hours and have serviced it ever 100 hours since. Pulled the oil pump apart and looks brand new internally. Oil sample showed a trace amount of sodium and aluminum. Really at a loos for what caused this. Can't tell if the bearing spun first causing a loss of oil pressure or if something caused the loss of oil pressure first and then the bearing spun. Nothing so far indicating a loss of oil pressure first but what I am being told is that these bearings just don't spin like this. Especially with so few hours on them.

QBhoy

Visit site
@QBhoy and @Andyroonot - thanks for responses - Stbd engine (Serial #A933988) - my mechanic (volvo diesel certified) have pulled the engine and taken it apart - you can see where the bearing has spun on the #4 piston - I am sure i will get these names wrong - on the part of the piston that goes around the crankshaft. It spun and then both halves melted to each other. Don't know yet what the exact problem is on the port engine (Serial #A933991) because we haven't pulled the engine. I bought the boat with 247 hours and have serviced it ever 100 hours since. Pulled the oil pump apart and looks brand new internally. Oil sample showed a trace amount of sodium and aluminum. Really at a loos for what caused this. Can't tell if the bearing spun first causing a loss of oil pressure or if something caused the loss of oil pressure first and then the bearing spun. Nothing so far indicating a loss of oil pressure first but what I am being told is that these bearings just don't spin like this. Especially with so few hours on them.

Hi. Sounds bad. So did you buy the boat with both engines not running ? Or alternatively, if they were but since owning, this happened, what were the running symptoms like ? The starboard must have been from lack of oil, serious heat or debris in oil, you’d imagine. What was it is the port engine running like now ? That’s if you’ve had it running at all.