Volvo AD41A's - The smoker's choice?

G

Volvo AD41A\'s - The smoker\'s choice?

I am looking at a boat (1989 vintage) with twin 41A's. I have heard rumour that these are particularly 'smoky' engines. Is this correct - and if so why? Can anything be done to make them run more cleanly?

Any comments or advice gratefully received.

Alex

G

Re: Volvo AD41A\'s - The smoker\'s choice?

They all smoke. Use Millers diesel clean, or similar Some in the filter to start off then as recomended. Might take a while to see any diference but it helps.

G

AD41A? There was a AQAD and an AQD but not to my knowledge a AD.

The AQAD (A = aftercooled) was the one that smoked. White smoke when the engine was cold and didn't improve much if the engine was used on a river and was not worked. The white smoke is caused by cold combustion agrivated by the aftercooler. Get the engine warm and it was OK, but would return if the engine was allowed to cool right down by running at very low speeds.

Black smoke during acceleration was also a problem if the props were too big, easily solved by fitting smaller pitch props. Tom

G

I have twin TAMD41a's and they definitely do produce a lot of white smoke when cold but are not too bad once heated up. The problem is, of course that you lay a smoke screen in the marina when leaving.

There are exhaust brakes which are supposed to operate when the engine is cold to suppress the amount of smoke. These are operated by solenoids but I am not aware of many 41a's where they actually work. On mine they are both stuck in the open position and it costs circa £400 per engine to replace. I understand their effect is pretty minimal anyway so I am leaving mine as are.

An unusual solution to try might be the Exhaust King product often advertised in MBY. I had an exchange of e-mails with them and they claimed their product would provide a cure (and make the engine more efficient) but I have not followed it up.

Nick

G

A new product will be appearing in the market place very soon, which will give, all those with diesel powered craft distinctive improvements in performance and environmental concerns. The “Step Drive” a two-speed drive leg conversion enables exciting improvements in the performance of diesel-powered craft. An article on this product will be appearing in MBY in their May issue which is released in March. If you would like more info on this product drop a line to cec.ltd@tinyworld.co.uk One of the benefits of this conversion helps to eliminate a lot of the smoking associated with certain diesel engines.

G

Another thinly disguised advert, where\'s the BB police. NM

??