Volvo 280 leg

G

Readying our boat to put back in the water, I pumped loads of (waterproof) grease into all the available nipples. Since doing his , there is a squeak coming from the lower external pivot when the leg is moved from side to side, sounds like rubber against metal.Do I have a problem? I didn't notice this squeak before greasing. Thanks in anticipation, Steve.

Attachments

• 2428.jpg
    2428.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 0
G

Is there a seal that has bulged with the grease, and is touching the metalwork...I'm sure though you would have seen it. More likely that you have a dry spot inside which has got drier over winter. Problem is that no matter how much greese you squirt in it will find the easiest path to the outside world which is not through the dry spot. Conclusion ...a total strip down and clean. I hope someone can suggest something easier first though.

David

Attachments

• 2561.jpg
    2561.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 2562.jpg
    2562.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 0
G

A "Cheat"

Put thin oil (10/40) in your greaser, and apply GENTLE heat to the area and work the bush at the same time. if this dont work, strip it! Rick

G

Re: A "Cheat"

im in the same position steering very stiff and squeak. got one leg of,what a job ,and still cant remove steering yoke

G

When its too bad, I have used an engineers to press the pin out, usualy costs @ £10. well worth it. Rick.

note: I used to have a boat with two, each summer both were tight, and both gear cables stiff, OK after about 3 hours running though!

G

Take off the steering arm inside the transom shield and place 2 steel wedges outside, between the yoke and sheild and GENTLY drive them in, the yoke should come down, then replace the steering bushes (they must be epoxied in) the kit is about £20.00 and clean up the 2 diameters on the yoke PS be careful you dont mix the bushes up they are differnt sizes, hope this is of some help, Phil

G

Thanks to all who have given advice. Our boat was due to go back in the water yesterday so I asked the marina people if they could delay this till I had sorted the problem. Meanwhile my brother had been investigating and found that the squeak had gone and there was no play and minimal stiffness, in other words, it appeared to have cured itself. Sorry, I can give no explaination for this but again I am grateful for all advice given. It's a mystery!!! Steve.

G

Thanks Phil, have used wooden wedges and lots of w stuff.see they do come out.