Volvo 2003

G

I am selling my Volvo 2003 as I have lost faith in it after losing a water pump and spending a fortune on the gearbox fix these engines need, now replaced and engine works but has lost power, starts well though. The lift pump is broken so that may explain the loss of power? I am prepared to sell the engine as a whole or the bits? 07818 421 761 or ken@netproject.freeserve.co.uk £550 THE LOT OR OFFERS FOR BITS. any use to anyone?

pvb

Visit site
Deep breath required...

Just a thought, but isn't this a bit extreme? It will cost you many thousands of pounds to replace your Volvo engine, which you admit is still working. At the end of the day, your boat won't be worth any more money. So isn't there a more cost-effective solution? Countless boats are happily wandering the globe with Volvo engines. Why not invest a little money with a good mechanic first?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by pvb on 19/01/2003 21:18 (server time).</FONT></P>

dickh

Visit site
I would seriously consider what pvb says, a new engine will set you back at least £5000 and you won't get this back when you sell the boat(unless you intend to keep it for a long time. Incidently was the gearbox problem the worn splines? If it was there is a cheaper fix than the Volvo fix, particularly if you can DIY.
No idea how much a lift pump costs but this may help your problem. Get another opinion on the engine.

dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

mldpt

Visit site
Re: Deep breath required...

I have spent nearly £1000 on my 2003, and I origanly decided that I would invest in a new engine possibly £4500 with that comes new alternator starter no gearbox problems. I wish now I had done what I was going to do, But fell into the trap of doing up the head and injectors to cure poor starting, £300 lighter she stated grreat but now smoke problem, I also fitted new engine mounts £240 all round now I am comitted £540 blown and still not right, I have now bitten the bullet and am having the bores honed and fitting new rings and big end shells, the bill for shells rings another head gasket and one or two other seals and a timingcase gasket £450 that sounds much like £1000 and I am still not sure of the results it will cost me possibly £100 for the honning and assembling the pistons and bigends (I didnt dare fit the rings myself with them being £70 per piston) I am doing all the work myself as I also did the gearbox mod last winter £270 to DB marine, and still if all is now well, how much longer will the starter last and the alternator. I will no doubt get loads of satisfaction if all goes well and I get a few more seasons out of her but I realy wish I had done what I said I always would do when the engine needed overhauling, but its too late now, so I recon you have done the right thing.

pvb

Visit site
Are you worrying too much?...

Sorry, but I can't see why you're so worried about possible future failures of the starter motor and alternator. Both of these are inherently very reliable. The starter gets far less use than a car's starter, and can be overhauled/repaired relatively cheaply. Alternators too are cheap and easy to fix. I'm sure that when you've finished the overhaul you'll have a perfectly serviceable engine with years of life left - and be thousands of pounds better off.

mldpt

Visit site
Hi asa point of interest, what engine did you settle on, how easy was it to fit, and into what did you fit yours. Mine is in a Corsair, 36ft is now 14 years old the engine has done 4000 hours, that I know of and although she was only 5 years old when i bought her the engine was already in a bit of a state outwardly, the alternator was already giving trouble, but otherwise seemed OK I have managed many more hours out of her with out a great deal of expence, but I now wish I had stuck to my guns and changed it while it was still running anyway spring is on its way and sailing season is almost upon us, I would normaly be still sailing but I am too busy working on the engine.
Mike.

G

Re: Are you worrying too much?...

Interesting reading, such a hard decision, loads of folk in our yard have rebuilt and all had problems. I am sure other people have had more success. A new engine is 3700.00, Hopefully someone will find the energy and will to repair my engine and give me a few quid for it... It has the Gearbox fix done already and New heat Exchanger and water pump (500 quid!) But I think I want a new one so I am more confident when needing power with my rug rats aboard!

I wish I was sailing!!!

:)

Strathglass

Visit site
Re: Are you worrying too much?...

I think you are doing the right thing. I worked on a hire fleet with 2001/2 and Bukh engines. Changing several gearboxes a season. Spares prices are frightning.
On my own yacht where running costs and reliability were the important factors, I was offered several Volvo and yanmar used packages in full running order but for how long would they run?
I ended up marinising a Ford 1800 diesel. Cost a lot more than a second hand 'marine' engine, uses up a little more real estate and is a little heavier, but spares and repairs at reasonable cost anywhere.

Iain