Volvo 2003 Gearbox

Bobingabout

Visit site
I heard a horror story regarding Volvo 2003 gearboxes from a fellow sailor last weekend.

I was told that older Volvo 2003 gearboxes have a problem with the splined shaft, which connects the gearbox to the engine. This is prone to wear, and the result is a sudden, no warning failure. This means that one day, the engine will be started, and when put into gear, nothing happens! This would inevitably happen at the worst possible time....

Can anyone please put my mind at rest, is it true? My boat is a 1987 Westerley, and the engine has been trouble free so far.

If true, is the problem on a certain serial no. range of engines? My engine is ser FL20766, the gearbox is KGMS2B 1674523.

Any advice would be much appreciated, this is very worrying......

pvb

Visit site
Me too!

There was a mention of this in PBO November 2001, with quite a detailed reply from Volvo Penta. I looked at it carefully because I've got a 2003 which is within the serial number range quoted. Suggest you get hold of a copy of the mag. In the meantime, it appears that this problem is usually caused by poor running or poor installation, which create vibrations along the shaft and wear out the splined connection. Apparently, the fault normally appears relatively early in the engine's life - if it's going to appear at all. Assuming your 87 boat has logged a fair few hours, you'll probably be OK.

Bobingabout

Visit site
Re: Me too!

Thanks for your re-assuring reply.

My boat is fitted with a three bladed prop, which I understand cuts down vibration, which also helps.

I will try and get hold of the November PBO

anthonyyearsley

Visit site
Westerly Owners' Association Spring and Winter 2001 journals have sections with experiences and a solution to the 2000 series gearbox spline problem. I examined mine two years ago at 900 hours on my 1989 2002, and will do so again this winter at over 1100 hours. It is very expensive to replace the splined shaft if the drive fails. DB Marine tel. 01628 526032 do a modification - suggest you contact them. Suggest also you join the WOA as the journals have excellent information on technical matters. Web site is www.westerly-owners.co.uk.

mldpt

Visit site

I have just inspected my splined shaft, my 2003 was new in 1987 has done nearly 4000 hrs and is still driving OK. But having removed my gearbox and inspected it I shall be sending the shat off to DB marine after Xmas, it has given no trouble but then it wont until it stops driving, they have quoted me £230 +vat, it is simple enough to do providing you have the correct tools good quality alen keys and preferably a socked set.It is said that the mod will last the life of the engine, I hope so, strange how somebody has sugested that this ware might be cause due to the two bladed prop not being asw well balanced as a three bladed one, I wonder if the fact that mine has lasted for 4000 hrs has anything to do with it being fitted with the standard two bladed prop, there fore not overloading the shaft, perhaps we should carry out a survey on all the shafts that have failed to see how many had two and three blade props.
I ignored a warning about Baby stay "U" bolts on my westerly a few years ago and lost my mast the following year, so I am taking noticw of this warning, although a year later.
Mike

mldpt

Visit site

Hi Again.
When I had mine in bits I took some pictures, they are not very good as the light was bad, but they will give you an Idea what you are looking for, if you go to www.pagetsladysailing.co.uk click on picture library, then in the middle you will find three pictures of the spline and flywheel etc, I am still not convinced that the three blade prop helps, as mine has done 4000hrs with the two blade prop,hope this helps,
Mike

anthonyyearsley

Visit site
Have just pulled the 2002 gearbox off my 1989 engine to inspect both the splines on input shaft and flywheel at 1100 hours plus. Some corrosion in the non-contacting parts, original machining marks on outside diameter evident. Discussed with local Volvo agent who agreed OK to reassemble with grease coating after cleaning off rust. Slight fretting evident in the middle of two splines. He had a 5 year old MS2 box on his bench from a training boat which was beginning to show twisting of the splines due to excessive ahead- astern changes without letting the revs die. My boat is a Fulmar with 2-bladed propeller, 36% DAR Europoise, fitted after I bought the boat to enable full power to be obtained from the engine and lower revs for motor sailing.

Bobingabout

Visit site
Many thanks for your useful comments and advice.

I had a word with my boatyard, who spoke to the Volvo engineers, who advised that the gearbox be removed, and a relatively cheap mod fitted (Circa £30),

The boatyard say this can all be done in about 2 hours, so I have left it to the experts!

mldpt

Visit site
I need to modify my gearbox to engine drive splines, please could you let us have the details of mod your man is doing for £30 this sounds very reasonable, the Volvo mod cost nearer £100 and this is no good if the gearbox spline is worn. I am planning on doing mine in Jan so would appreaciate any help you can offer.

Bobingabout

Visit site
I was somewhat misinformed by my Boatyard. The cost of the Volvo "Flywheel" kit was actually £67.54 + VAT. Volvo P/N is 3581117.

I have not yet had chance to speak to the boatyard, but I have great faith in them, having kept a boat there for many years.

I will speak to them in the new year, and find out if the spline was worn.

mldpt

Visit site
Hi thanks for your reply, re 2003 volvo splines.Mine are worn and I am sending the shaft assembly complete to DB Marine Volvo Agents in berkshire 01628526032.they machine the shaft removing the worn splines turning the splined portion into an hexagon rebuild it and return it with flywheel plate to match with some form of shock absorbtion built in they say this mod will out last the engine cost is £230 +vat.
Much cheaper than a new gearbox, which is the alternative if the shaft is worn. regards Mike

david_bagshaw

Visit site
Just been looking at your spline pictures on your site, Does the flywheel not have any damper or is that the real cause of the failure?, as all th marine gearboxes I have met so far ,(only above 80hp) have a drive damper similar to the centre of a car clutchplate.

Nice site by the way, & good luck on doing your YM Instructors, I only have the "ordinary" YM, & that was difficult enough!

David
www.yachtman.co.uk

mldpt

Visit site
David Yes believe it or not Volvo didnt think it needed and shock absorbtion on the 2001/2/3 until the early 90s when they modified the drive coupling from engine to gearbox. the splines on the gearbox shaft wear till they fail totaly and a new gearbox is needed £2000 + but fortunatly there is a firm in Berkshire that remove the remainder of the splines grind an hexagon on the shaft make a flywheel plate with mating Hex hole and the plate is then fitted to the flywheel and crankshaft with rubber/ plastic collers around the screw heads to take some of the shock out of it. they say this mod will outlast the engine life and cost £230 +vat.
I have joined your Web ring but am having a problem up loading the Link page. perhapps you could mail me direct on mail@pagetsladysailing.co.uk I am sure I am doing some simple think wrong, I am useing Serif Page Plus 7 to create my site
Regards Mike.

NeilH

Visit site
Age immaterial!

Having suffered a stripped spline last week on my '87 VP 2003/ MS2B gearbox, I would conclude that age is immaterial.

Calling DB Marine next to order a new spline etc.

Any opinions on the merits of stripping the box down to check for other wear?

thanks
Neil

MoodySabre

Visit site
Blimey Neil you have resurrected a 10year old thread!

The DB Marine fix (which is very good) is now over £400. You have to remove your gear box and send them the spline to hex. Not difficult (but access may make it awkward) once you undone the coupling and slid the shaft back. They will send you a new carrier ring to bolt on to the flywheel and some shims for getting it all correctly in place. To get the old carrier ring off the flywheel I found it easier with two people and two sets of spanners.

Here is the original WOA article on the subject.