Volvo 130hp engines ???

waynes world

Visit site
Hi folks, these Volvo engines are connected to a pair of VP 270 legs and in a MK1 Fairline Fury

any info on what type they are etc. seller says jsut 130hp each. no model etc.

VOLVO ENGINES.jpg

researching before the viewing to purchase ;)

Fishtigua

Visit site
Volvo has pretty much given-up on spare parts for this engine. The after market for parts is actually better than most Volvo parts, keep your chin up.

CLB

Visit site
looks like a pair of Strombergs and a pair of Solex ?

That’s what I was thinking. I suspect the Sromberg engine, or at least the carbs, may have come straight out of a car. They were never used in boats, in fact I don’t think side draft carbs are ever used in boats for safety reasons.

waynes world

Visit site
Yes when i noticed that and wondered could it be space to get the side draught carbs in on the port engine maybe. ?

quick search is the correct carbs should be Solex PAI 44

Last edited:

[178529]

Visit site
That’s what I was thinking. I suspect the Sromberg engine, or at least the carbs, may have come straight out of a car. They were never used in boats, in fact I don’t think side draft carbs are ever used in boats for safety reasons.
They look like stromberg cd 150s or 175s. On old strombergs, which are good carbs, you really need to be careful about having absolutely squeky clean fuel. Any tiny piece of grit can block the float needle valve and then you get fuel coming out the mouth of the carb. On an old triumph, thats ok, or nearly, as you can stop and get out and generally smell it before it catches fire. I woul think it would be pretty disastrous on a boat. I'm not sure I would want strombergs on a boat I had.

My triumph gt6, I only need to change a fuel line and the slightest tiny sliver of rubber hose from putting a fuel line backk on can block the float chamber. Easy to fix on the hoof.

waynes world

Visit site
They look like stromberg cd 150s or 175s. On old strombergs, which are good carbs, you really need to be careful about having absolutely squeky clean fuel. Any tiny piece of grit can block the float needle valve and then you get fuel coming out the mouth of the carb. On an old triumph, thats ok, or nearly, as you can stop and get out and generally smell it before it catches fire. I woul think it would be pretty disastrous on a boat. I'm not sure I would want strombergs on a boat I had.

My triumph gt6, I only need to change a fuel line and the slightest tiny sliver of rubber hose from putting a fuel line backk on can block the float chamber. Easy to fix on the hoof.

I was about to ask, what other carbs can be fitted, the Srom and Solex are scarce now.

[178529]

Visit site
I was about to ask, what other carbs can be fitted, the Srom and Solex are scarce now.
Not sure. Strombergs are very common still and you can still buy rebuild kits for them if you know the model number. You are probably stuck with them unless you changed the inlet manifold or had an adapter plate to the inlet manifold. I think they were standard on old Volvo cars as well.

I might be a bit negative on them as they are pretty good carbs and can be adjusted easily if you have the mixture adjusting tool. Just make sure have have pnety of fuel filters. I think I would change the float needle valves, which you can buy for a couple of quid, and clean the float chambers once a year or something like that.

CLB

Visit site
I'm going to reiterate. AFAIK, and someone please tell me if i'm wrong, side draft carbs should not be used on boats due to the danger of fuel leaking and having nowhere to go. I have certainly never seen a Stromberg carb in a boat before.

There is a Weber conversion for the old Solex carbs, but its not cheap. You can still pick up the Solex carbs occasionally on eBay.

waynes world

Visit site
I'm going to reiterate. AFAIK, and someone please tell me if i'm wrong, side draft carbs should not be used on boats due to the danger of fuel leaking and having nowhere to go. I have certainly never seen a Stromberg carb in a boat before.

There is a Weber conversion for the old Solex carbs, but its not cheap. You can still pick up the Solex carbs occasionally on eBay.

I am fine with petrol on boats, I always go the best way so i am looking at the a pair of Solex 44 pai.

Or any others if i fnd what can be used and i will look into the Weber conversion, thanks for that kida ;)

gordmac

Visit site
Any Strombergs I am familiar with have a small dowdraft angle, fuel leaking runs into the engine rather than out the mouth. This gives piston ring and land wear and not good for the bores.
I wouldn't have an arrangement where the engines are different like that. If one was replaced why not put the proper carbs on? Are marine engines differently tuned to car ones?

Croftie

Visit site
I remember 40+ years ago a chap was having problems with twin Stromberg carbs flooding and asked If I would take a look, me being a small independent car repairer. It had been to 2 or 3 garages inc main agent with no success. I stripped both down, new needle valves, floats, gaskets, inline filters etc, the whole works. Couple of weeks later he called saying problem solved and became a loyal customer for the next 35 years. Ohhh did I mention he was also my Bank Manager.... The amount I charged for the job was a fraction of what I saved in bank charges. :)