Volvo 120S-E saildrive. Which oil?!!

BobsFolly

Visit site
Hello all,
I'm a little confused on what saildrive oil I should be using...
It's a 1999 md2020C with a 120S-E saildrive.

Should I be using ATF or engine oil?!

I found the Volvo service bulletin that recommended changing from ATF to engine oil but it only referred to the 130 and 150 series S Drives. Another source or two online are recommending using 15W-40 engine oil.

Does anyone have a definitive Volvo reference for the above saildrive ?

Many thanks

Bob.

VicS

Visit site
Hello all, I'm a little confused on what saildrive oil I should be using...It's a 1999 md2020C with a 120S-E saildrive. Should I be using ATF or engine oil?!
I found the Volvo service bulletin that recommended changing from ATF to engine oil but it only referred to the 130 and 150 series S Drives. Another source or two online are recommending using 15W-40 engine oil.
Does anyone have a definitive Volvo reference for the above saildrive ?
Many thanks
Bob.

The 120S-E is the only one of the whole bunch from the 110S through to the 150S drives which does not now use engine oil

It uses a GL5, SAE 75W-90 gear oil

See the VP lubrication schedule at http://fybmarine.co.uk/PDF/Saildrive-oil-quantity-type.pdf

I am surprised you have it on an MD2020. I thought it was only used on the more powerful engines such as MD22

However I note that the owners manual for the MD2020C lists it as the drive and specifies SAE 15W-40 engine oil .......... I'm confused now.

Definitely not ATF anyway

Last edited:

BobsFolly

Visit site
The 120S-E is the only one of the whole bunch from the 110S through to the 150S drives which does not now use engine oil

See the VP lubrication schedule at http://fybmarine.co.uk/PDF/Saildrive-oil-quantity-type.pdf

I am surprised you have it on an MD2020. I thought it was only used on the more powerful engines such as MD22

However I note that the owners manual for the MD2020C lists it as the drive and specifies SAE 15W-40 engine oil .......... I'm confused now.

Hence my confusion!
And right you are, it currently has 75W-90 gear oil in it.
Attached (hopefully) is the engine and saildrive spec.

Bob

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200528-165843_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200528-165843_Gallery.jpg
    718.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

VicS

Visit site
Hence my confusion!
And right you are, it currently has 75W-90 gear oil in it.
Attached (hopefully) is the engine and saildrive spec.

Bob
If it has gear oil in it I would keep gear oil in it..... it cannot do any harm even if it is not necessary when used with a relatively low power engine

Don't know what mechanical differences there are between the "E" version and the others but I am pretty sure 15W-40 would be perfectly Ok for use with an MD2020.

BobsFolly

Visit site
If it has gear oil in it I would keep gear oil in it..... it cannot do any harm even if it is not necessary when used with a relatively low power engine

Don't know what mechanical differences there are between the "E" version and the others but I am pretty sure 15W-40 would be perfectly Ok for use with an MD2020.

Many thanks for the replies all, I think I'll stick with the gear oil for now!

Bob.

jaypea

Visit site
I agree, stick with gear oil. I had a helpful chat with Jerry of Falmouth Yacht Brokers he asked for engine and saildrive serial numbers and checked them out with VP. He made the same comment about our 1998 engine beng fitted with the high powered SD. The previous owners had said when they had a professional service they put engine oil in it and it ran like a loose box of spanner’s until he replaced it with gear oil...thereafter, ran sweet as a nut. Very expensive oil but necessary for the unit we’ve got.

BobsFolly

Visit site
I agree, stick with gear oil. I had a helpful chat with Jerry of Falmouth Yacht Brokers he asked for engine and saildrive serial numbers and checked them out with VP. He made the same comment about our 1998 engine beng fitted with the high powered SD. The previous owners had said when they had a professional service they put engine oil in it and it ran like a loose box of spanner’s until he replaced it with gear oil...thereafter, ran sweet as a nut. Very expensive oil but necessary for the unit we’ve got.

That's great feedback, many thanks.
Just ordered a few litres of the same stuff that's in it.
Glad I checked on here before draining and changing...

Bob.