Volga- Moscow Waterway

G

I'll be interested to hear the answer to the question. You do need permission from the authorities to take a yacht inland in Russia.

When I sailed to St.Petersburg a couple of years ago, the immigration official said that at that time it was virtually impossible for a foreign yacht to get such permission. However, he may have been exagerrating as usually anything is possible in Russia provided you ask the right person. Also one or two foreign yachts have done it in the past so either they met the right person, or policy has changed, or the official I asked was exaggerating.

I've been along part of the Volga between Moscow and St Petersburg on a river boat, and it's quite a pleasant journey. Don't miss visiting Uglich.

Amphitrite

Visit site
A german guy (and quite well-kown author, Rollo Gebhard), did it some years ago - I do remember that he had to re-flag his vessel with a russian flag under some kind of company (?) to get the permission...

clyst

Visit site
Yes it is possible but DONT attempt in late autum or winter . Be prepared for some heavy handling of your personal and boat papers . Make sure every I is dotted and t crossed .

G

Sailing along the Volga in winter would be tricky to put it mildly unless you own an icebreaker.

About papers - in fact surprisingly few are needed other than the official permission already mentioned. Apart from a Russian visa on your passport, just take the usual ones - boat registration, ICC etc.

The one to watch out for is the customs undertaking that you sign on entry classifying that the yacht is a temporary import and wont be in Russia for more than 6 months. Overstepping this would be expensive.

Drascomber

Visit site
It has definitely been done - although I have not been further than a mile or two up the Neva in St P myself.

I recommend that you join the Cruising Association and tap into the experience of their Baltic Section.

gunnarsilins

www.eilean.se
There was a Swedish yacht going from St. Petersburg to Moscow about 7-8 years ago. They continued beyond Moscow and ended up in the Black Sea.
Unfortunately I´ve lost contact with the skipper and there is no documentation of the journey.
He had some official invitation from some kind of yachting association and I remembered him saying it probably would have been impossible to get through all bureaucratic obstacles during the journey without his girlfriend/crew who was fluent in russian. Officials in the countryside far from Moscow were very suspicious when handling a foreign yacht and was not keen on letting them pass.
But all this was a time ago and things might have changed since then. But I doubt...