Vliho storm early hours 9th September

NornaBiron

www.flickr.com
Just interested- did anyone there have time and visibility to to see what the wind speed got up to? We were in the s.e. corner pretty much blinded and a little preoccupied ��

We got up to 38.8 knots in Abelike. I've read reports that it was much higher in Vonitsa - up to 50 knots

Pasarell

Visit site
63 knots in Cleopatra Marina, Preveza from someone who now has a surveyor organised by his insurance company for tomorrow morning. Here in Lefkas it was short but very sharp. Never had time to switch my instruments on

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
The figure of 63 knots doesn't surprise me: we were in Cleopatra marina as well. I'd been woken by the rising wind, gone out to secure the spinnaker halyard, brought in the dinghy chaps and then it arrived! Torrential rain, high wind from the stern and a nasty chop running through the marina. When the rain eased, I helped put an extra line on the unoccupied boat next door as well as doubling up my own lines. Then sat down to wait it out: couldn't even have a hot drink as the gas had just run out. All over in less than an hour, but I understand that there were some boats damaged at the other end of the marina.

AndrewB

Visit site
58kts peak gust in "Tranquil" Bay. If my anemometer is that accurate.

We seem to get one of these most years (do a search here). The usual chaos of poorly anchored boats dragging, getting wrapped around those that are holding. This time though we were lucky, they just slid past us.

Spare a thought for TCM and others caught in "Irma".

Last edited:

Pasarell

Visit site
The figure of 63 knots doesn't surprise me: we were in Cleopatra marina as well. I'd been woken by the rising wind, gone out to secure the spinnaker halyard, brought in the dinghy chaps and then it arrived! Torrential rain, high wind from the stern and a nasty chop running through the marina. When the rain eased, I helped put an extra line on the unoccupied boat next door as well as doubling up my own lines. Then sat down to wait it out: couldn't even have a hot drink as the gas had just run out. All over in less than an hour, but I understand that there were some boats damaged at the other end of the marina.

The surveyor I mentioned above had 5 boats to deal with by the time he got there on Monday morning. All insured with Pantaenius and all damaged by a boat whose cleats ripped out and went walkabout in the marina. Apparently the Pantaenius response was "keep the owners happy". Accomodation organised storage containers delivered work started on Monday. All rather impressive!