Visitor Moorings with Power at Allington Lock

oldgit

Visit site
The icing on the cake courtesy of the EA and staff.
For many years the EA has been investing in the long term future of the River Medway not only regards refurbishing the lock structures and landing stages but also with vital enviromental stuff , fish passes etc plus encouraging the use the of river by other tax payers such as rowers, paddleboarders, swimmers, kayakers and canoers ,even providing decent paths for the less able to access the river.
Long ago and once ruling the roost but now in terminal decline, the Lords of the River ie motor cruisers now have to take their place in the que along with the rest .
However they are not forgotton and in an attempt to lure them out of the their expensive marinas, the EA have just spent a pretty sum providing a small number of visitor moorings with power £20.00 PN. (Need to book. phone the lock office) at Allington Lock.
There is also neat little cafe onsite that opens during the more clement months.

Spent an excellent weekend up there and were treated to a visit by a load of floating cars using the excellent slimeless slipway.
Safe secure car park £5.00 per day and use of well maintained clean slipway for around £5.00 ?

They also have a couple of chalets and a camping area for hire in a secure , quiet and secluded part of the lock .
Come round a meet the keen and helpful lockies on the Mudway, please note after Allington you will find out the locks do not work by some sort of strange magic. :) Home – Medway Navigation

Last edited:

oldgit

Visit site
Back in the late 80's, an overnight berth at Allington allowed you to fall out the Malta Inn and onto the boat!
You can still do that but " pub" eventually gave up trying to get folks mooring outside the Malta to pay money for the privilege of drinking there.
On busy days expect two part time time staff trying to cope with ques 10 deep waiting for drinks and the usual "frozen n microed" food served by more part timers who really really want to be somewhere else.
Walk 5/10 mins up the road to the nearbye "Village Hotel" better everything.

Last edited:

oldgit

Visit site
Havent been there for 30 odd years but used to enjoy that spot alot. Are there toilet / shower facilities there also?
Yes , there is a block with all facilities (inc Disabled) for those launching at the slipway , also dry waste disposal / water point plus black water disposal and pump out.
Their are similar but less luxurious facilities at Yalding but you will need to get key/lock code from staff at Allington to use them.
Also need to get a key for the little lifting bridge at this location if you have anything bigger than a kayak and wish to transit.

frothblower

Visit site
Yes , there is a block with all facilities (inc Disabled) for those launching at the slipway , also dry waste disposal / water point plus black water disposal and pump out.
Their are similar but less luxurious facilities at Yalding but you will need to get key/lock code from staff at Allington to use them.
Also need to get a key for the little lifting bridge at this location if you have anything bigger than a kayak and wish to transit.
Thanks for the info, I shall definitely plan a visit.

oldgit

Visit site
Need any hints regards timings vs depths in the section between Rochester Bridge and Allington Lock plus transiting Aylesford Bridge do get in contact.....all at your own risk etc :)
RCC is also a handy overnight stop if coming from outside the area and ideal to explore the delights of Rochester, from memory about £25.00 ? PN with power and H2O.
High Street about 10 mins walk away, boasts more eating and drinking establishments than you can shake a boathook at.
Personally I like the shop selling Dinosaur fossils.

https://www.rochestercc.co.uk/

Last edited:

Parabordi

Visit site
Need any hints regards timings vs depths in the section between Rochester Bridge and Allington Lock plus transiting Aylesford Bridge do get in contact.....all at your own risk etc :)
RCC is also a handy overnight stop if coming from outside the area and ideal to explore the delights of Rochester, from memory about £25.00 ? PN with power and H2O.
High Street about 10 mins walk away, boasts more eating and drinking establishments than you can shake a boathook at.

and whatever he says, go 15-30mins later!
giphy.gif

frothblower

Visit site

Thanks oldgit, appreciated. I shall definately be in contact nearer the time for a refresher on timings etc. Yes stayed at RCC many times, perfect spot.

oldgit

Visit site
Your welcome ..................
For reference Parabordi ( a somewhat grumpy ex Thames refugee) moors just across the pontoon from me.
I do count my fenders on a regular basis. :)