Visiting Turkey from Kos - entry and exit process

Arabis

Visit site
Advice sought please. I would like to take a privately owned, British flagged boat from her base in Kos over to the Turkish coast for three weeks cruise and then return to Kos. I contacted the marina in Bodrum for advice and they put me in touch with an agent who gave me an eye-watering quote for clearing-in etc. In total with a one night stay in Bodrum they quoted the following:- Custom Clearance: 160.00 €; Custom Check Out: 90.00 €; Milta Marina Mooring per day: 102.00 €; Agency Service Fee: 100.00 €

Surely there is a cheaper way to get this done e.g. DIY, perhaps at another, smaller port of entry (Datcha maybe?). Is this feasible, is use of an agent mandatory? How difficult is it to do it yourself? What are the real costs? Can anyone offer some knowledgeable guidance.

Also a related question, is clearing out, and back in, from and to Kos slow and onerous?

One A.

Visit site
We did it ourselves in Turgetries (sorry spelling might not be correct) it was quite easy because all the different offices were under one roof, we used an agent in Datcha but I don't remember the name, at the time we didn't think it was so expensive.
Al of this was a few years ago mind.

AndrewB

Visit site
I posted precisely the same question a year ago, and had very helpful answers. See http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?501787.

It was definitely helpful to appoint a Turkish agent the first time I entered. This need not be done in advance though, you can find someone on arrival, with luck other yachties at your destination will advise you who is best/cheapest locally - certainly less than you will get in advance quotes.

Thereafter I did it myself. Not usual, it seemed, but it worked well enough and saved me some.

Incidentally, forumites advised me against entering at Bodrum and so I chose Bozburun instead - a nice place.

P.S. Watch out for the 'blue card' waste-water disposal nonsense - i.e. you are supposed to dispose of grey and waste water to recognised facilities. The blue card is issued on entry to Turkey. But actually there are hardly any facilities, so marinas and others will just stamp your blue card, at a cost, to certify you have done this, leaving you to just dump the stuff. When you leave Turkey you have to show your stamped card to prove how responsible you have been!

Last edited:

macd

Visit site
As Andrew implies, Bodrum doesn't have the best reputation for entry/exit costs. As well as Bozburun, the thread he linked to mentions Datca. Myself and several other forumites have cleared in/out there, using agents, at very modest cost. The linked thread gives further info.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
If it's help the agent in datca is on the round about next to the marina , can't remember it name but it's some( tours ) very helpful you don't need to use the marina we anchored in the bay the other side of the marina then walked over .
Blue card is just a joke .

De.windhoos

Visit site
If it's help the agent in datca is on the round about next to the marina , can't remember it name but it's some( tours ) very helpful you don't need to use the marina we anchored in the bay the other side of the marina then walked over .

Blue card is not a joke, for instance in the Goceck-Fethiye area they do check.

cegri

Visit site
Agent in Bodrum:
Poseidon Yatcılık, Mr. Mehmet Ünsalan
+905327732800
(Also serves Turgutreis, but it is easier downtown.)

Agent in Datca:
Seher tour, Mr. Serdar Uslu
+905323645178
(Ussually has the most reasonable price.)

Additional Info:
The agent purchases the transit log at 50€ + 120TL
There are no additional costs for the boat. Visa costs might apply for people.
You use the same transit log form during exit. (Make sure you get all empty pages of the form.)

You don't have to stay at Bodrum Marina for check-in. You can anchor directly to the customs area. Your agent will direct you. (Avoid times of the ferry to Kos.) Then you could move out to a more reasonable achorage.

Datca is also a good alternative. You pay half-day fee to the municipality marina, reasonably priced.

Arabis

Visit site
On the subject of the blue card scheme, is it the case that this covers black and grey water discharge i.e. are shower and sink drains supposed to be connected to a holding tank as well as heads waste? I have two heads and two holding tanks but not for showers and sink waste. Do they ever spot check the installations on yachts?

Chris_Robb

Visit site
I would choose Datcha in Preference, the agent mentioned is good.

If you do go to Bodrum, you dont need the expense of the Marian and the Marinas Agent. Go to this guy
Ali Engin, 0090 555 5292909, email ali.engin@gmail.com

Instead of going to the Marina you go to the Customs quays on the Starboard side as you enter - where the Gullets go in and out to clear their passengers. Its a simple process with the agent but dont go on the last day of Ramadan as its chaos - we did!

You can then anchor off the town and listen to the devastating noise from, 10 pm to 5 am the following morning - on second thoughts - just go to Datcha. As few year back you could have done a stop at the roman remains at the tip of the Datcha peninsula, but I would not now risk that as regular checks are done all over the place.

Irish Rover

Visit site
On the subject of the blue card scheme, is it the case that this covers black and grey water discharge i.e. are shower and sink drains supposed to be connected to a holding tank as well as heads waste? I have two heads and two holding tanks but not for showers and sink waste. Do they ever spot check the installations on yachts?
I've been inspected by the Coast Guard a few times in recent years and only once or twice been asked for the Blue Card. I'm not even sure if all patrol boats carry a card reader. I've never heard of them actually checking the plumbing and frankly I doubt it ever happens. My showers and sinks go directly to the sea as I'm sure is the case with the vast majority of boats in Turkey. Avoid visibly soapy discharges inside marinas as it's generally frowned on.
I do my own check in/out but I speak passable Turkish. I'd imagine it's not easy if you don't have a Turkish speaker with you.

Last edited:

daveg45

Visit site
+1 for the custom dock at Bodrum. I checked out of Turkey there without using an agent (agent quoting anything from 100 euros to 150). Make sure you arrive after the ferry has departed though.

The Old Man

Visit site
Advice sought please. I would like to take a privately owned, British flagged boat from her base in Kos over to the Turkish coast for three weeks cruise and then return to Kos. I contacted the marina in Bodrum for advice and they put me in touch with an agent who gave me an eye-watering quote for clearing-in etc. In total with a one night stay in Bodrum they quoted the following:- Custom Clearance: 160.00 €; Custom Check Out: 90.00 €; Milta Marina Mooring per day: 102.00 €; Agency Service Fee: 100.00 €

Surely there is a cheaper way to get this done e.g. DIY, perhaps at another, smaller port of entry (Datcha maybe?). Is this feasible, is use of an agent mandatory? How difficult is it to do it yourself? What are the real costs? Can anyone offer some knowledgeable guidance.

Also a related question, is clearing out, and back in, from and to Kos slow and onerous?
Agent is not mandotary. You can do it yourself,just go to the harbour master's office. They will direct you to necessary office. If you can tell them you are there for check in formalities.

Sandydog2

Visit site
Seher Tours I think

Sandydog2

Visit site
Seher tours I think