Vintage charts

HenryEDM

Visit site
Does anyone know where to get hold of vintage style charts for display purposes, you know the sepia type ones you see in seaside pubs? My missus thinks one would look good in our new house. Ideally looking for north Wales, Anglesey, Menai Straits areas.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Does anyone know where to get hold of vintage style charts for display purposes, you know the sepia type ones you see in seaside pubs? My missus thinks one would look good in our new house. Ideally looking for north Wales, Anglesey, Menai Straits areas.

The National Library of Scotland keeps a large number of old charts which are viewable on screen and buyable, at a reasonable price, as A0 prints.

HenryEDM

Visit site

prv

Visit site
Another good place to look is http://marinechartservices.co.uk - look for the link "Vintage charts" near the bottom right. The stuff there is in random order and all ages from the 1880s to 1980s so it will take a while to hunt through, but they certainly have monochrome charts and possibly of your desired area.

Pete

Hydrozoan

Visit site
I did contribute to thread but hadnt realised that facsimiles were available to buy so thanks for that

Originals of Morris' "Plans of harbours, bars, bays and roads in St. George's Channel" (26 plates) cost £2000+.

The hardback facsimile I bought at the time of that thread cost me ca. £25-30 IIRC (from a bookseller who had a few copies still available). I cannot find any copies of the same facsimile on the web at the moment, but softback facsimiles do seem to be available at less than that price, from which individual maps could be cut (though they are perhaps not of the same quality as those in my hardback).

But all these charts are rather small (less than A4) and so they might not suit your purpose anyway. They look good in a group, though - when Mrs H worked for Gwynedd County Council about 40 years ago, their archive department produced and sold individual facsimiles of some 6 charts of the North Wales Coast, and we bought and framed them separately.