Views on Achilles 840

lumphammer

Visit site
Does anyone have any info on the Achilles 840 yacht?
It has a rather strange sheeting arrangement for the genoa where the sheets are passed through the coaming sides to a single self tailing winch mounted centrally. I was wondering if anyone has used this arrangements and how it works in practise?

Richard

<hr width=100% size=1>

Capt_Scarlet

Visit site
My uncle has an Achilles 840, with the central winch arrangement. I have an Achilles 9M with standard coaming mounted winches.

Both boats are very solidly built, and sail well.

I have not sailed his much, but the central winch is easier in some respects, as access to my outboard mounted winches tends to be compromised by the mainsheet.
Against this, with the single winch, you cannot dress it with the lazy sheet prior to clearing the loaded one, when tacking.

My boat has got the holes through the coaming for the central winch, but no turning blocks, so it could easily be converted from one form to the other.

If you are considering buying one, then go for it - great boats - any if you don't like the current arrangement, then all you need are one or two winches - the coaming is built beefy enough for either arrangement.

Both of our boats have round-the-boom mainsail reefing, which works ok, although conversion to slab reefing is no problem.

Engines tend to be on the small side - his is 9Hp Volvo, and mine was 11Hp Sole (now Yanmar 2GM20).

We both have triple keels and use exposed drying moorings without problems.

Best regards.

<hr width=100% size=1>