Victoria 30, Twister, Frances Victoria 26 or 800 or Vertue 2 for coastal & near-continental cruising.

chockswahay

Visit site
@glandorebay I will admit, I am biased! we bought a V28 last year and we love it! It is not everyones cup of tea but if you value sea keeping qualities, truck loads of storage, standing room for 6'2", build quality then you will love one too. We took ours to the West coast of Ireland last year and it looked after us in near constant F6/F7 winds. They are not the fastest boats around but in a good breeze they will pick up their skirts and go! The ride comfort is superb and the sail handling a doddle (especially with a furling staysail). They are very good boats for two people with generous space inside and (important to me) long bunks in the cabin. We have the version with the heads in the front so there is plenty of space for sails etc. I would say they get a bit 'cozy' if 4 or more on board but for two or three ........ just great (also have a long and wide proper quarter berth)

We looked at (and still like) the Victoria 26 and the Twister but they are both much smaller inside with less headroom.

Good luck with your hunt!

ncounties

Visit site
Did you ever settle on one GlandoreBay? If I ever get around to buying my own, I have always thought the Vic30 would be the perfect choice for my needs.

LeonF

Visit site
Did you ever settle on one GlandoreBay? If I ever get around to buying my own, I have always thought the Vic30 would be the perfect choice for my needs.
I wondered why this old post had popped up then got to the end and realised why. There are several for sale at the moment including one in Wales, a V800, that has quite a pedigree, the owners in their 80's sailed her from the Baltic back to Wales . I love mine. Easy to sail single handed, warp around in a marina if you don't want to leave astern etc.

ncounties

Visit site
I saw "Libby" was up for sale, and then watched the video relating to their passage home just yesterday which was a lovely record of their trip. Unfortunately, it's probably 12-24 months too early for me as my house renovations are eating up all my funds. I was gutted last year when I saw Vic30 "Que Sera" up for sale and wasn't in the position. She was in a seemingly great condition.

LeonF

Visit site
I saw "Libby" was up for sale, and then watched the video relating to their passage home just yesterday which was a lovely record of their trip. Unfortunately, it's probably 12-24 months too early for me as my house renovations are eating up all my funds. I was gutted last year when I saw Vic30 "Que Sera" up for sale and wasn't in the position. She was in a seemingly great condition.
There are a few for sale, probably because owners are getting on a bit. If your keen on one in the future have a look at the Facebook pages. There are unfortunately two groups when they should really be combined. Victoria and Frances Yachts Facebook Group and Victoria frances 26 sailboat group. There is also the association, www.victoriashadow.co.uk. You can view but not join until you have a boat. Twisters are great boats, we had one in our club, but so are the Victorias.

srm

Visit site
Any on your list will do what you want. But the choice of a boat is very personal. You need to go and spend a few hours on each of the prospective boats, even if ashore, and get a feel for it. Ask the owner/broker to leave you alone for an hour or so.

This has worked for me, after drawing up a short list of possibles I have, more than once, driven the length of mainland Britain to view each (being based in the far north at the time). There was one I thought ticked all my boxes, but after spending much of an afternoon looking around and sitting in the cabin reluctantly realised it just did not feel right for me.

You will recognise the right boat for you when you meet it.

ColinR

www.victoriashadow.co.uk
My wise & learned fellow sailors, I'm interested to hear your thoughts, pros & cons on these classics.

Lets assume they all have good rigs, sails & engines. I'm a single-hander, Master Mariner, with lovely non-sailor passenger at times.

Many thanks in advance,
I've had my V30 for 20 years and mostly sail solo. we've done a lot of miles together and I have no plans to change her. Really solid, seaworthy and comfortable. My only gripe is a bit too much weather helm and like most long keels yachts, going backwards is challenge. A lot have teak decks which unless replaced will be at the end of the life by now. I plan to keep her long term so had a new deck fitted. But I'd say you have a good list there and any of them would fit the bill. Depends on the quality of the boat you find. Look on the Victoria Shadow Association website for info.

LeonF

Visit site
I've had my V30 for 20 years and mostly sail solo. we've done a lot of miles together and I have no plans to change her. Really solid, seaworthy and comfortable. My only gripe is a bit too much weather helm and like most long keels yachts, going backwards is challenge. A lot have teak decks which unless replaced will be at the end of the life by now. I plan to keep her long term so had a new deck fitted. But I'd say you have a good list there and any of them would fit the bill. Depends on the quality of the boat you find. Look on the Victoria Shadow Association website for info.
I find that a burst of power astern then into neutral gives my boat enough way on to keep her going in a straight line. Of course going astern into the wind she weathercocks beautifully.

biscuit

Visit site
I have had a V30, and a Halmatic 30.
The V30 was beautifully built (no teak deck), and fantastically stable in a blow.
The canoe stern creates problems in the cockpit, especially with space and safe gas stowage (I fitted an Origo), but what ColinR calls weather helm is I think simply excessive directional stability, a product of the full length keel. Ours was really well balanced going upwind in any weather, but really heavy off the wind, a real problem on longer passages, especially for my wife, which is why I sold her. (the boat, not the wife)
The H30 is a brilliant design, really easy to sail, light on the helm and surprisingly quick. Not such a classy build as the Victoria, but better heads, cockpit and sailing layout. Incidentally I have sailed late model Nich32 (said to be the forerunner of the H30) and found that heavy to steer down wind. I only sold the H30 for a 36ft AWB to get more room and creature comforts, but perhaps should have kept it/her?

LeonF

Visit site
I have had a V30, and a Halmatic 30.
The V30 was beautifully built (no teak deck), and fantastically stable in a blow.
The canoe stern creates problems in the cockpit, especially with space and safe gas stowage (I fitted an Origo), but what ColinR calls weather helm is I think simply excessive directional stability, a product of the full length keel. Ours was really well balanced going upwind in any weather, but really heavy off the wind, a real problem on longer passages, especially for my wife, which is why I sold her. (the boat, not the wife)
The H30 is a brilliant design, really easy to sail, light on the helm and surprisingly quick. Not such a classy build as the Victoria, but better heads, cockpit and sailing layout. Incidentally I have sailed late model Nich32 (said to be the forerunner of the H30) and found that heavy to steer down wind. I only sold the H30 for a 36ft AWB to get more room and creature comforts, but perhaps should have kept it/her?
The V800 has a good draining gas locker, takes two canisters. I've never found her heavy off the wind, but dead downwind you need to pole out the jib and take down the staysail, mine is a cutter, for a long stretch. Tacking in close quarters is easy with the self tacking staysail and the jib furled, The Halmatic 30 is a great boat and when I previously owned a modified Sigma 33 I would have loved one, but it was out of my range. Now the interiors need modernising if you're concerned about that sort of thing or look for her successor the Barbican 30. My 800 is perfect for me, especially after making a cockpit hatch for stern gear access.