Victoire 1044 v Victoria 34 .... any thoughts?

mcanderson

Visit site
I did my day skipper on a Joint Services V34 in 2008. It was solid, very solid and took everything we threw at it in March in some unpleasant weather in the Solent with ease. She was well maintained and had worked hard. However the head sails were all hanked on, which is fine with 5 crew, but not for a couple I think. There was a toilet only for a heads and lots on bunks. With an instructor and 5 onboard there wasn't much spare room. We stayed out sailing long after others had called it quits and I always felt safe. Would my wife had liked it, no. We had just bought a Beneteau 323 which is and was more our thing.
Take your wife to see one and she what she thinks. There are ex Joint Services ones about and these might still be basic below. I did see one kept at Haslar that had a wheel which might be better for you or not. My instructor liked the boats and they are still in use today.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I did my day skipper on a Joint Services V34 in 2008. ...There was a toilet only for a heads and lots on bunks.

The standard Victoria idea was not to cram too many bunks in. The F26 and V26 were really designed and marketed for two and the V34 for three, at a time when most boats of similar sizes were trying to cope with twice as many. From what I hear, the services boats were modified (Victoria would build you any interior layout you wanted as long as it could be done in the usual time) to carry a lot more ... that might make them less suitable for cruising couples.