VHF Newbie Help - Scripts

tom3987

Visit site
I posted this earlier today but I can't find it anywhere so I'm re-posting.

I have just bought a pandora 22 and I have got to get it moved in about 2 weeks. I've got to request a bridge to be raised but i'm not 100% sure what the correct "script" is. This is my first boat from dinghies and have booked on for my VHS licence next month but unfortunately, I have got to get the boat moved before then.

If someone could let me know what I should say that would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

VicS

Visit site
Hi I need a little bit of help. Ive just bought a pandora 22 which is my first boat from dinghy's. I have got to move the boat from one place to another in about 2 weeks but ive got to ask for a bridge to be raised. I dont have a VHF licence yet but i am going on the course next month.

Can anyone let me know the standard way of requesting this as a "script"?

Thank you! :)
I posted this earlier today but I can't find it anywhere so I'm re-posting.

I have just bought a pandora 22 ..........
I'm bumping this up in the hope someone can help you. I have a near phobia of using the VHF, despite having a licence, so am the worst person to suggest a script!

You will of course learn the correct procedure during your VHF operators course but you may well find these RYA books useful .

http://www.rya.org.uk/shop/pages/product.aspx?pid=G22(RYADefaultCatalog)

http://www.rya.org.uk/shop/pages/product.aspx?pid=G26(RYADefaultCatalog)

http://www.rya.org.uk/shop/pages/product.aspx?pid=G31(RYADefaultCatalog)

The correct procedures are set out in the first booklet above (G22) and it would infact be possible to learn all you need to know from it. G26 contains example questions from the exam. The hand book (G31) is more detailed.

All are also available as e books if that's the sort of thing you prefer.

Your bridge very likely wil expect calls to be made directly on their working channel, rather that Channel 16. If this is so it simplifies the standard procedure somewhat.

It is very unlikely that the formal standard procedure will be adhered to once contact is made. Exchanges are more likely to resemble a phone call.

Quite independently of the Operators certificate you can, and should, get your " Ships' radio licence " from Ofcom . Free if done on line http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/radiocommunication-licences/ships-radio/

BUT BUT BUT can you not request a bridge opening by mobile phone?

Some bridges require an opening to be booked in advanced.

Some open at set times.

Last edited:

EdWingfield

Visit site
I will help you Tom. But which Bridge plz?

I/you need to know what channel to select. You also need to know his call sign.

ps. You won't be shot at dawn for not having a licence. Don't worry about not using correct protocol, we are all amateurs here. The 'pros' make allowances for us.

It is radio misuse that is disliked eg. hoax Maydays.

VicS

Visit site
I will help you Tom. But which Bridge plz?

I/you need to know what channel to select. You also need to know his call sign.

ps. You won't be shot at dawn for not having a licence. Don't worry about not using correct protocol, we are all amateurs here. The 'pros' make allowances for us.

It is radio misuse that is disliked eg. hoax Maydays.

Very unlikely that it will be necessary to know the call sign.. The call will almost ceratinly be made, on the working channel, using the name of the bridge

lpdsn

Visit site
Get the right channel and find out what name they use. Almanac should help there. Handy to make a note.

Listen to make sure you're not interrupting someone else's conversation.

Press the button, say their name, then say yours. Talk slowly and clearly. No need to repeat their name three times unless you aren't getting an answer.

When they reply ask for the bridge to be lifted or ask when the next opening is. Keep it simple, don't waffle.

You can say Over before releasing the PTT key, but I rarely hear the professionals on the VTS channels doing that. They do however say Good Morning or Good Afternoon etc.

When you've made the arrangement say Thank You. You can say Out. Don't say Over And Out.

It's quite simple really.

ghostlymoron

Visit site
In my experience, you will not learn how to request a bridge opening on the bus course. There was a lot of time devoted to Mayday calls which though important I have never used. Make sure you call on the correct channel and be clear about the time you want the bridge opened. It's not necessary to be word perfect but it helps to use 'over' and 'out' at the appropriate times.

EdWingfield

Visit site
I forgot to say Tom. If the bridge is a road bridge it may not open during rush hour.

If it is railway it wont open until they have a safe gap in the traffic.

It is best you know this before you cast off. Call the harbourmasters office for info.

PlankWalker

Visit site
If at the time you need to make the call, neither you or any body else on board has a VHF licence, then you should not transmit on your VHF radio.
I suggest you use a mobile phone until you've got a licence.

oldbilbo

Visit site
Tom 3987,

May I suggest you pay a visit to the bridge operator before your intended boat-move? Just drive down the day before and have a talk with him, see what he can see - and what he can't - be advised by him of where you may tie up temporarily, and glean from him what he expects.

He'll appreciate your courtesy to him/them, and you'll then know what HE wants you to say.

X

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Surely can't be many bridges where you can just turn up and have them open on demand ? Most would have set times or require some notice. I'd also suggest contacting the bridge in advance, if not by visiting (not always possible as not all bridges are manned 24/7), at least phone them.

tom3987

Visit site
Hi!

Thanks for this! Its "twin sail bridge poole" . I have looked and they say they open every 30 minutes but when I've been in the area they don't keep to that so I presume they only open at that time if someone has requested an opening. There is a bridge about 300 yards down which should open 15 minutes after the twin sail opens.