Vhf HH330 audio port

aries83

Visit site
Hello,

I have a VHF cobra HH330 and I am looking to connect an audio cable to the microphone/speaker input on Sparkfun.

A 3.5 mm jack cable does not work, the same for a 2.5 mm. It seems that it's 2 mm or 1.5mm but I can't find this reference online on your website. Can you tell me which audio connecter I need to buy to be able to plug something into it? The documentation mentions a Jack port but obviously it's not good.

That’s the kind of connector we can see here https://www.nootica.fr/electronique/accessoire-vhf/vhf-portable/micro-etanche-vhf-cobra.html

Can you help me, please ?
Kind regards,

aries83

Visit site
Cobra Lapel Speaker Mic For Hand Held VHF – Pacermarine
Same item you linked to but can be bought in UK at this link. I don't think these connectors are standard audio type stuff. You may have to buy the whole thing. It'll definitely be easier than sourcing and then trying to make up the connections and keep it weatherproof.

They don't sell audio cable for external speakers. This is used for the mic. I would like to find an adaptor Cobra Port - Jack 3.5mm .

greeny

Visit site
They don't sell audio cable for external speakers. This is used for the mic. I would like to find an adaptor Cobra Port - Jack 3.5mm .
That's my point. If the connector is not available then buying this would allow you to use the part you need and ditch the rest. Expensive way but may be the only way. Have you actually contacted Cobra to ask them if they can help?

greeny

Visit site
Cobra Marine Radio To Headset Coil Cord Cable
Think this connector is what you need but probably not from this place at that price.
My Entel radios have what looks like the same connector for the handsets. Maybe you can get one from them.
I just checked dia. with caliper and definitely 2.5mm as you suspected.
Entel pic below.
Ah - getting closer to home now and much cheaper. https://www.amazon.es/-/pt/dp/B073H...cphy=1011728&hvtargid=pla-1882207454624&psc=1

Jack Plugs | Jack Sockets | Jack Connectors | RS RS catalogue.

Attachments

• IMG_20230530_201558898a.jpg
    IMG_20230530_201558898a.jpg
    971.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Bilgediver

Visit site
Cobra Marine Radio To Headset Coil Cord Cable
Think this connector is what you need but probably not from this place at that price.
My Entel radios have what looks like the same connector for the handsets. Maybe you can get one from them.
I just checked dia. with caliper and definitely 2.5mm as you suspected.
Entel pic below.
Ah - getting closer to home now and much cheaper. https://www.amazon.es/-/pt/dp/B073H...cphy=1011728&hvtargid=pla-1882207454624&psc=1

Jack Plugs | Jack Sockets | Jack Connectors | RS RS catalogue.
A possible problem with these is that the socket on the Cobra is designed for a threaded collar above the contacts which would restrict the access of jacks with a larger diameter than the thread. Another point to confirm is whether the jack on a cobra is 3 or 4 sections. mine for Yaesu are 4 as the same port is used for programming channels .

Later.

I have found this Amazon link which shows a Cobra 4 way thread jack speaker plug and an adaptor lead with non threaded 3 way.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cobra-Wate...ocphy=1007326&hvtargid=pla-492693659248&psc=1

Last edited:

greeny

Visit site
I used to have a few spare Entel mic's stashed somewhere at home in UK that have no need for. Just got to find them. Some of them are a bit crappy. If any are too far gone I'll see if i can chop the connector off for you. Are you in UK. If so I'm not back till end of July if that's any use to you. Maybe post one to you then if I can find them. Then you can solder your own 3.5 jack onto it.

Bilgediver

Visit site
I used to have a few spare Entel mic's stashed somewhere at home in UK that have no need for. Just got to find them. Some of them are a bit crappy. If any are too far gone I'll see if i can chop the connector off for you. Are you in UK. If so I'm not back till end of July if that's any use to you. Maybe post one to you then if I can find them. Then you can solder your own 3.5 jack onto it.
The Cobra I have has a smaller jack than 3.5. I think it is 2.5. Also it has a screw connection. See the pictures in the links in my previous posting .

greeny

Visit site
The Cobra I have has a smaller jack than 3.5. I think it is 2.5. Also it has a screw connection. See the pictures in the links in my previous posting .
Yes, the Entels are also 2.5 mm with the screw bit, so if i send a plug with a bit of lead on it he can solder his 3.5mm jack socket on the bare end if he sorts out which cores he needs for audio out from the radio. Then he can plug his external speaker into that. Having said all that, the op has not been on for a while so maybe he's given up.