VHF--HAND HELD OR FIXED

robinborton

Visit site
Thanks everyone for dragging a lurcher out into the open the replies were very helpful.
Now I think you can buy a hand held DSC-VHF assuming you don't drop it overboard is it an effective bit of kit? as an alternative to a fixed unit?
Thankyou
Robin

ccscott49

Visit site
Didnt one of the mags do a comparative article about handhelds? The range I seem to remember was very good, its not watts!

G

I would buy both if funds permit, good fixed set, mount aerial as high as poss go for Simrad dsc set, as for the HH my Icom m1 euro is V good, talked to Solent CG 8 miles due south of Needles Lighthouse no problem, have mainset at flybridge but just grabbed HH as it was a panpan call/ responce, Icom in my book the best.

Paul js

G

Re: agreed

Difficlut for me mere mortal to verify as i'm at this end, not on the other. Would say for coastal stuff a hh is ok, and i use icome all very fine and M1wotsit v light and fab bateries last for days. Also portbale handy for keeping tabs on kids. Small boat solent portable shd be fine imho, offshore needs aerial way up high.

In med france or spain of course, neither is any good - you need a mobile phone to get the helipcopters coastguard or anyone else.

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
Fixed unit better, but make sure that it is installed well with a decent antenna (mounted as high as possible), pref unbroken cable run from antenna to radio with a soldered plug on end and a beefy power supply. Nine out of 10 VHF problems poor installation or ageing antennas.

Strathglass

Visit site
Re: VHF--testing aerial

It can be tested by connecting a VSWR meter between the VHF and the aerial. Ask a ham radio person to do it for you.

markc

Visit site
Someone at PHYC (can't remember who) lent me a meter thingy to test instalation. It first showed the transmitted power, and then reflected power, seemed to do the trick 'cause when I had resoldered plugs, it worked better! If I remember who lent it to me I'll let you know.

Mark

Strathglass

Visit site
Re: VHF--testing aerial

Byron,
Yes it will with a little qualification.
It will verify if the VSWR is acceptable ie. between 1:1 and 3:1.
If it is ok then your aerial is matching correctly and there are no anomolies in the coax cable and connectors.
What it will not do is measure the power correctly, however it will give a repeatable reading for power which can be used as a reference for later checking and between different instalations.
The old CB VSWR meters are often of quite good quality and are frequently silver plated inside.

Geoffs

Visit site
May not be OK

A CB SWR meter may not be OK for VHF. CB 27MHz, VHF 150MHz 'ish.

A lot of the cheaper CB SWR's were rated 1.8 to 30MHz, better ones 1.8 to 200MHz. If you've got one of the better, then OK. Should say on it.

Geoffs

Visit site
Re: May not be OK

It sounds a fairly standard 30Mhz CB SWR meter. There should be a little label on the side somewhere showing spec & frequency range. Trouble is they were usually stuck on and fall off over the years.

'Fraid I was a CB 'er in the old days as well, yep I admit it. My SWR meter sounds similar to yours, and is not suited to VHF.

I had to borrow one to check my VHF installation. I got VSWR of 1:1.2 on 1 watt and 1:1.5 on 25watts. Which is very good. Worth checking at Hi power, don't need to transmit more than few seconds.

I could try and borrow again if you want. I don't live far from Wallingford.

G

Right here is the best way to test the aerial.

Send Barry , Dave and Matt out on Barry's new toy( think youll have to fil the tank first) send them out across the channel, talking to them all the time, with reports back on how far they have gone, when you don't hear them anymore , it's time to go home, or to look for them.

Not many barge refuellers mid channel, last one I saw was between Majorca and Ibiza,suppose it was duty free?.

Paul js.

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
Yes Chris, it's easy with the right kit. You need a SWR meter (one designed for the frequencies you are testing) In your case, take a wander up to Eurotek in Brighton, have a chat with Malcolm or Sally and get them to organise a quick test for you (if you are in Brighton still)...it will be cheaper than buying a decent meter.

Most antennas die after a while, so don't be surprised if yours needs replacing. But before going to the expense take the plug out of the back of the radio and check the connection...typical DIY bodge is to leave the centre core loose inside the centre pin instead of soldering it. Putting that right is a good start.