Vertical windlass installed off center

Alexis

Visit site
I' am currently fitting out a 6ton (metric) 34 feet bluewater yacht.

To keep the foredeck as clear as possible, I am thinking of installing a vertical electric anchor windlass, above deck (motor below), on the starboard side, against the "gunwale", directly abaft the anchor well. By installing it in this position, the lead to the bow-roller isn't correct, so I'd have another roller, mounted on a vertical axis, just abaft the bow roller.
The goal is to have a clear foredeck, to be able to have the area totaly secue (the chain between windlass and roller would run in some sort of covered gutter) and this position enables me to secure the windlass very strongly (side of hull, deck and forward structural bulkhead.

(If this isn't clear, I cam PM you a sketch of the set up)

My questions:
Has anyone seen or experimented such a layout ?
What do you lot, used to anchoring, think of this system ?

Many thanks,

Alexis (Sorry lads, in this case, Alexis isn't a lass, and whats more, he's married)

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
Sounds reasonable.

The sides of the foredeck are normally kept clear for working the mooring ropes to the cleats, but I can't think of a major objection to your suggestion even though I've never seen it done in practice.

You might even get away without the vertical roller if the offset angle isn't too great. The main concern would be on recovery where you don't want extra friction.

As most vertically mounted gypsies feed chain from their starboard side, why don't you mount the windlass on the port side to keep the angle to a minimum?

The one thing I wouldn't go with is the covered gutter, unless it is designed to be left open during launch/recovery. Bound to result in foul-ups, and there are various reasons why you may need access to the chain when recovering.

Many people (me anyway) prefer to take the load right off the windlass once the anchor is set, and transfer the chain to a heavy cleat or sampson post.

jleaworthy

Visit site
Would you have a clear drop below a windlass in this position sufficient to allow the chain to self stow under its own weight preferably on the centre line of the yacht?

<hr width=100% size=1>

duncan

Visit site
given the need to access everything (normally at the worst moment!) I would have thought a horizontal windlass with a simple removable cover would give you a better result. If you really really want a clear foredeck then fit it below deck just to the port side as already recomended and have a direct feed from bow roller / through deck to gypsy. However the need to build in access will compromise strength in the area significantly.

Can't see the gain - you can't stand in small triangle the windlass will sit in anyway 'cos the forestay will get in the way and a cover prevents snagging etc.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Alexis

Visit site
Totally agree with the need for instant accessibility. For now, I have rulled out the horizontal axis windlass, for several reasons:
- They are generally bulkier than there vertical counterparts
- I like the idea of beeing able to pull the boat in any direction, without having to resort to a block. The only time I'd need a block would be to be sent up the mast
- I have a huge anchor well (I'm 1.85m and can get in it and close the lid) that I wish to keep accessible for fenders, warps and other bulky but not heavy items. I have built a big chain locker under and abaft the anchor well, thus lowering the weight in the boat.
- The foredeck on my boat is a rather big surface, due to the shape of the front section of the hull, and I really want to keep it clear.

Many thanks for your feedback Duncan; I really appreciate having a critical eye on my projects

<hr width=100% size=1>

Alexis

Visit site
Re: Sounds reasonable.

Many thanks for your feedback Andrew.

Concerning having the sides of the foredeck clear, I will be changing the position of my mooring cleats. They now are approx 3ft behind the bow, and have awkwardly positionned fairleads at the bow. I will get rid of the fairleads, and install bigger cleats directly on top of the gunwhale, secured via an pre-bent SS plate on both the deck and the gunwhale, thus not needing fairleads anymore as well as avoiding chafe, as the lead of warps will be always straight, regardless of their direction. Boats such as Etap, have this sort of set up.

What do you think of this solution ?

Concerning the use of the windlass once the anchor is set: I totally agree with you. What I am planning, is to have a snubber rope fixed on both cleats, long enough to clear the bow by several feet, with a chain hook in the middle, that would take the load.

Do you think it will do the job ?

The idea of having the windass on the starboard side, is so that the chain/rode be the less obstusive possible between windlass and bow-roller.

If I go without the vertical roller, do you think I could have a simple bow-roller aligned with the chain, meaning that it would make an angle between the boat's centerline an the chain outboard of the bow-roller ?

The covered gutter, would basically be a nylon profile fixed on the deck, with a lid hinged on the length, that could be flicked open when anchoring.

Your impressions would be most welcome

<hr width=100% size=1>

Alexis

Visit site
The drop beneath the windlass is 1m10. As the windlass is off centre, the chain would have to go through a tube/pipe tha would have an angle of approx 25° to reach above the centreline.

Do your foresee any trouble with this system ?

Alexis

<hr width=100% size=1>

Alexis

Visit site
Thanks Kingfisher.

Would be very interested to see this photograph. Don't have any yachting world magazines myself.
Would you be kind enough to scan the photo (72dpi) and send it on my private e mail ?

That'd e great.

<hr width=100% size=1>