Vdo temp sensor gauge

Rhylsailer99

Visit site
I am about to fit a temp gauge and sensor the sensor has 2 connectors one is the alarm and the other the sensor. What's confusing me is the connection sensor minus on the diagram is that basically just ground and it should be grounded any way via. The block.Screenshot_20200821-145239_Gallery.jpg

rogerthebodger

Visit site
water-temp.jpg

This is a normal temperature gauge and alarm.

If you have a reference/model of the VDO gauge I can look up in my VDO data for the exact one you have

pvb

Visit site
I am about to fit a temp gauge and sensor the sensor has 2 connectors one is the alarm and the other the sensor. What's confusing me is the connection sensor minus on the diagram is that basically just ground and it should be grounded any way via. The block.

Looks like you're fitting a Viewline gauge. When the temperature reaches the threshold, the alarm contact in the sensor closes and so the contact is connected to the engine block (ie negative). On that basis, the light/alarm will operate because 12v+ is present on pin 8.

I think the instructions are rather unclear, probably because they're generic to a range of instruments.

VicS

Visit site
I am about to fit a temp gauge and sensor the sensor has 2 connectors one is the alarm and the other the sensor. What's confusing me is the connection sensor minus on the diagram is that basically just ground and it should be grounded any way via. The block.

This is for a Bukh DV20 ?

The combined temp gauge and alarm sensor has a common negative connection via its body and the engine block ( Take care not to insulate it with masses of ptfe tape)

The gauge sensor normally connects, via a brown wire in the DV20 wiring harness, to the temperature gauge. The alarm sensor connects via the yellow/ green wire to the alarm panel.

If you are fitting your own gauge then you will I guess have to run your own wire to connect the gauge sensor to it together with a switched 12 volt supply which you will have to run from the ignition switch.

Refer to the wiring diagram in your owners manual or a workshop manual

If the gauge is illuminated you will also need a switched 12volt + ve ( which can be the same as the supply for the gauge ) and a negative connection.

Last edited:

Rhylsailer99

Visit site
This is for a Bukh DV20 ?

The combined temp gauge and alarm sensor has a common negative connection via its body and the engine block ( Take care not to insulate it with masses of ptfe tape)

The gauge sensor normally connects, via a brown wire in the DV20 wiring harness, to the temperature gauge. The alarm sensor connects via the yellow/ green wire to the alarm panel.

If you are fitting your own gauge then you will I guess have to run your own wire to connect the gauge sensor to it together with a switched 12 volt supply which you will have to run from the ignition switch.

Refer to the wiring diagram in your owners manual or a workshop manual

If the gauge is illuminated you will also need a switched 12volt + ve ( which can be the same as the supply for the gauge ) and a negative connection.
I'm just going to use the sensor part on the gauge and the alarm wire I will use the bukh alarm which is the yellow wire one on my bukh.
It sounds the alarm if you short it to the block.

Rhylsailer99

Visit site
I'm just going to use the sensor part on the gauge and the alarm wire I will use the bukh alarm which is the yellow wire one on my bukh.
It sounds the alarm if you short it to the block.
I didn't realise it was a combined connector I have bought a new sensor that has 2 connectors one for each.