VAT and sailing

mocruising

Visit site
Being non resident in the UK (23 years now Middle East based) and about to spend some of that hard earned cash on a boat, it was my intention to purchase a boat that has not had the tax paid. I know my position wrt to the VAT and tax situation in the UK but it was my plan to sail the boat slowly to Dubai via the Med. I say slowly I work month on month off in the oil industry so the plan was to hop from UK to Cyprus between April and October and then leave the boat there for a year if possible then do the final leg through the canal to the ME. Eventually taking the boat back in the opposite direction. Can any one advise on the use of a VAT unpaid boat registered in the Middle East tramping through Europe and the Med I thought I would be treated like a visiting Yachtsman as long as I did not hang around in one place for two long.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ubuysa

Visit site
UK Customs and Excise has a lot of info on this <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.hmce.gov.uk/forms/notices/ukyachts.htm> here</A>. Although obviously UK biased it's based on the EU rules and should be broadly similar to the VAT position anywhere in the EU.

Tony C.

<hr width=100% size=1>There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by ubuysa on 25/03/2004 12:16 (server time).</FONT></P>