Varnishing over Deks

coolbop

Visit site
Hello,

Has anyone ever tried varnishing over Deks Olje #1?

I've had a bit of a change of heart while treating the woodwork inside the boat. I started by applying deks #1 to the engine cover with the intention of then using the #2 to give a gloss finish. Then, after reading various bits, decided I would probably get a better and longer lasting finish using a decent varnish.

My question is, will it be OK to varnish over the Deks #1? I'm thinking something like International Schooner or Epiphanes. Would it need to be a varnish resistant to teak oils?

My timing's not great either - it's too cold to varnish now. If I can, I think I might go through the boat with the #1 to give the wood some protection over the winter months, and perhaps restore some of the colour that's faded out over the years.

Many thanks
Ian

<hr width=100% size=1>

huldah

Visit site
Deks #1 is a hardening oil that sets like a varnish in the wood, when you stop applying coats. The wood fibres are sealed, but it does not fill air spaces. I.e. you won't find it if you cut into the wood! It can be varnished after three days, though it will be probably be many weeks before it sets in the centre of the wood. It will take much longer this time of the year.

I suspect Deks #2 is varnish mixed with Marine Owatrol. The latter changes the setting characteristics of varnishes, so that no skin forms. This allows you to paint all round a boat and to join up where you started, without the varnish lifting. It also levels the surface and makes the varnish almost immune from bloom if overnight condensation occurs, almost completely eliminating moon craters. I suspect that without a skin, the deep layers of varnish set quicker, because the skin prevents oxygen from reaching the lower layers. I have added Marine Owatrol to many conventional varnishes, including International, after using Dels #1.

On old (house) paintwork I paint on a very dilute coating of Marine Owatrol This activates the old paint so that the new paint does not peal off. (Best to add some to the primer as well).

The manufacturer of these oils make an interesting range of products, including an additive for emulsin paint that forms such a smooth surface that less coats are required. Try google.

Philip

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gordonmc

Visit site
I switched from Deks to Le Tonkenois last season and simply flatted off the surface before applying the LT.
I know LT isn't varnish in the accepted sense as its mainly tung, but it does skin unlike Deks.
FWIW, Deks has one failing and that's the need to go back to No. 1 and saturate even for minor localised repairs. With LT its a one-pot touch-up.

<hr width=100% size=1>

LittleShip

Visit site
Have a look at this product

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.woodsealer.co.uk/topgloss.html>http://www.woodsealer.co.uk/topgloss.html</A>

Ive used this on mine and upto now it performs as well as if not better than varnish and can be used in this weather as well??

<hr width=100% size=1>
I wish I'd been born rich instead of good looking ?

Other threads that may be of interest